Let's Keep Track

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's Keep Track

Kim... just to be clear here. I am not apologizing for my statements. My response was to the techniques Chuck employs to bait people. For example, when quoting me, he will use phrases like "Joe bragged" or "Joe complained". That's what provoked my ire here - the fact that it's impossible to keep a civil conversation going with Chuck. And that's why I've chosen to no longer to respond to him. However, if someone else were to do those same things, I would again object. If you don't like the fact that I'm trying to keep some decorum here, that's okay, but I'm not going to change. People need to start being civil, and that includes avoiding obviously derogatory editorial comments and sticking to facts. That's a great New Year's Resolution for everyone, myself included. Merry Christmas! Joe

Comment

Let's Keep Track

Joe politely stated: "People need to start being civil, and that includes avoiding obviously derogatory editorial comments and sticking to facts." While I contend that my editorializing was not derogatory, just reflecting how I saw the originator's post, I must conclude that if it's only facts that is wanted then "Shooting the breeze" is probably the wrong forum. If I stated "Joe bragged" or "Joe complained" then that's exactly the way I saw it. If pointing out your emotions on a reply is considered uncivil then I guess I'm in an intolerant forum. Correct me if I'm wrong but I understood this forum to be the place to state opinion, editorialize and discuss controversial subjects. It shouldn't be a mirror where everyone just nods and agrees. That only happens in Mayberry, NC. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer.

Comment

Let's Keep Track

"If pointing out your emotions on a reply is considered uncivil then I guess I'm in an intolerant forum." You can attempt to hide behind "intolerance", but nobody has a duty to tolerate boorishness. "Joe bragged" is not an emotion, it's simply you being confrontational. And other than this reply, I'm no longer taking the bait. Being civil to you was an experiment that failed. Joe

Comment

Let's Keep Track

Joe and Chuck, Did you guys know that stress may be defined as "The inability to choke the daylights out of some jerk who so richly deserves it!" Now that you know, I'd like to wish you and all the contributors, editors, management, etc. the most relaxing of holidays; the most peaceful of times; the greatest prosperity for the coming year; and solutions to your most nagging problems. And to all a good night, Dave

Comment

Let's Keep Track

I've mentioned to a few people that I thought this might be a very interesting year for software. I know a LOT of systems have been put in in the last year, and a lot of them are networked and/or web-based B2B and C2B systems. Many of them were put in on "low cost" hardware, like Windows-based server farms. Some of the newest technologies such as .NET and J2EE have been used, as well as some of the newest application development methodologies, like extreme programming. It's my - well, I think prediction is too strong a word, but perhaps my hunch - that we're going to see that some of these combinations of new technology, new methodology and cheap hardware won't quite scale as they might need to. One thing about midrange applications - if you needed more horsepower, it was always just a matter of throwing more hardware at the problem. Green screen applications almost by definition scaled as high as you needed them to go. But I'm already seeing cases of these newer technologies not working quite so well. I was at a local chain retailer of sporting goods apparel, and their entire POS system was down. They were reduced to taking orders by hand with calculators, and they had to turn away credit card customers. It was looking pretty ugly. And just tonight I was about to buy a 19" LCD monitor for my mom, and the Dell site told me it was too busy to take my order. I ended up going to PC Connection, and Dell lost a hefty sale. It's the week before Christmas, and you don't have enough horsepower for your online sales site? This strikes me as a pretty major flaw in your infrastructure. My guess is that I'm not the only one seeing this kind of thing. So I'd be interested to see what you all see. Watch your websites - are they acting normally? See how your retailers are doing - are they having "computer problems"? I'll be interested to hear any notes from the field. Joe

Comment

Let's Keep Track

You too, David! Heck, this was actually stress relieving. Now I'm headed to the in-laws . Joyeaux Noel! Joe

Comment

Let's Keep Track

Joe baited: "Being civil to you was an experiment that failed." Ah, yes, the ultimate display in civility! "Joe Pluta" wrote in message news:6ae8c09e.19@WebX.WawyahGHajS... > "If pointing out your emotions on a reply is considered uncivil then I > guess I'm in an intolerant forum." > > You can attempt to hide behind "intolerance", but nobody has a duty to tolerate boorishness. "Joe bragged" is not an emotion, it's simply you being confrontational. And other than this reply, I'm no longer taking the bait. Being civil to you was an experiment that failed. > > Joe

Comment

Working...
                X