Fire storm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire storm

I drove east this morning on the Ronald Reagan freeway through the heart of the city of Simi Valley. Simi is one of the cities hard hit by the rampaging brush fires that often happen during the hot months of September and October when the hot Santa Ana winds blow at 50 mph and the humidity is 8%. There have been few fires over the last decade so the brush is exceptionally thick. Great fuel for the blazes. As I drove at 6:30am, the freeway was unusually quiet. Not many people know that the eastbound lanes are open. Having only heard 10 minutes ago myself I find it eerie. The westbound lanes are empty still being closed. The firefighters are using that side of the freeway as a staging area with many trucks and police cars all around. Driving between the hillsides, covered still white with ash from the fresh fires, seeing smoke smoldering like an old world war II movie gives me time to pause and think about how fortunate I've been. The fire never reached closer than about 2 miles from my house having been stopped at the Ronald Reagan library. A number of things cross my mind on this trip to work. I wonder what the terror it must cause a small child as they're rushed out of the house clinging to their treasured stuffed animal. I wonder about the panic in some families as they wait too long and there's not enough oxygen in the air to start their car. I wander how intense the fire must have been as I see freeway guard rails fallen because the wooden posts that hold them have burned to ash. I also wonder, as I stop at a red light on Desoto street if the ash falling on my car's windshield comes from some family's treasured photo album or their child's favorite stuffed animal that didn't get out of the fire. I also wonder why more than 1200 people lost their homes while I watch on TV being grateful that it wasn't my family. There are those that will say, "well, that's what they get for living in a high fire area." And, yes, I can agree with that sentiment, but it does them no good now. Just as it does no good to say that to victims of floods in Missouri, or hurricanes in North Carolina or Texas, or bombs in Iraq. It's time to think of the crushed lives and the children that will be forever having the nightmares about the natural disaster they've witnessed. For those of you that have only experienced mother nature's wrath from the front of a television set feel fortunate. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer.

Fire storm

People from all over the US, (and the world for that matter) were great to the people of NY during the aftermath of 9/11. All I can ask is if there are any relief agencies so that those who want to assist are able to. Dave

Comment

Fire storm

David Abramowitz wrote: > People from all over the US, (and the world for that matter) were > great to the people of NY during the aftermath of 9/11. All I can ask > is if there are any relief agencies so that those who want to assist > are able to. RedCross.org . bill

Comment

Working...
      X