Offshore Labor: A tough lesson on medical privacy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Offshore Labor: A tough lesson on medical privacy

I don't understand how this could possibly NOT be a gross violation of HIPAA. Given the flood of documents we now have to sign every time we're at a doctor's office (or even the dentist, fer gosh sakes), how is then okay to outsource the transcription of these records? It just doesn't make sense. Joe

Let's face it. This is just the tip of the iceberg. We are not only outsourcing programming jobs. At the same time we are also outsourcing data centers, and the data that goes with it. Even when the data source remains, programmers have to test with something, and that's usually subsets of the real thing. I seriously doubt if any firm that uses outsourcing will learn a lesson from this incident. It will either take several more incidents to have any sort of impact, or more legislation that will not be directed at saving jobs, but rather preserving the sanctity of the data. We legislated our way into this mess. I have forwarded the article to several politicos, but I do not expect anything but a form letter at this point. OTOH I believe that if we all inundate congress with the facts, and do it each time the problem is pointed out in the press, eventually something may be done. Dave

Comment

Very correct, this is the "tip of the iceberg" and who can predict where this ends. Due to differing cultures (between Americas and overseas), could some of the incidents go "unpunishable." Do overseas countries have the same accountability and are we able as American countries to perform any recourse against such individuals?? As it has become highly fashionable to outsource to cheaper labor, the implications of doing so simply because of the $$ savings sometimes overlooks the other implications. How "tight" is security of offshore companies and how secure is companies' data?? Much agreed, it will take a number of similar incidents (or worse) before any actions are taken. Thanks - Lee.

Comment

This article is for anyone who feels that sending work offshore is worth the risk. "... A woman in Pakistan doing cut-rate clerical work for UCSF Medical Center threatened to post patients' confidential files on the Internet unless she was paid more money.To show she was serious, the woman sent UCSF an e-mail earlier this month with actual patients' records attached. ..." http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...NGCO2FN8G1.DTL

Comment

No doubt. She was just blantly open about her intentions. What about the quieter ones who have access to our information (outsourcing of not only patient data) who would be willing to sell this information? Wouldn't it be great if the companies who are outsourcing be forced to publically make available to who and where information is being transferred/outsourced to? Sure makes one wonder...

Comment

Working...
          X