X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R.Daugherty
    replied
    It's not about competition, folks...

That's a good point, dave400, if Goodyear is listed on Lou Dobbs Exporting USA Jobs. The outsourcing of Goodyear Europe to IBM in Europe couldn't be the basis of it though. I wonder if Goodyear US has outsourced IT jobs? Their ad I would imagine is oriented to tire manufacturing being performed in the US, but it would be interesting to know if they have outsourced IT. There has always been the argument that IT is not a company's purpose in being, but real IT is a tool to make the company what it is. Companies that outsource don't get that. rd

Leave a comment:

• J.Pluta
    replied

Kumar, you're just not getting it. The article you quote is quoting OLD NEWS. I'm not sure which words you don't understand. The very next paragraph said: "The Richfield, Minn.-based retail chain last week confirmed that it has been investigating outsourcing options for the company's IT and call center operations." LAST WEEK. Did you not catch that part? Oh forget it. I'm no longer even going to try. Joe

Leave a comment:

• ACT
    replied

Joe, I cut and paste the ff. for your satisfaction, the problem is not language barrier but I think your vision. Take note of the DATE please...It's very clear APRIL 5, 2004. I'm just re-stating the facts coming from this site. And as I have said before, I'm against OUTSOURCING and BOYCOTT, and I am a strong believer in a free wheeling market driven economy. --------------------------------------------------------------------- News Story by Carol Sliwa APRIL 05, 2004 (COMPUTERWORLD) - Best Buy Co. may join the collection of retailers that are opting to outsource a significant portion of their IT operations to major technology services companies.

Leave a comment:

• dmjae2004@yahoo.com
    replied

I wonder how the Bridgestone board will react? Bring jobs back to America? Or take their chances for a year and hope the earnings are not impacted? I'll definitely choose Good Year over Bridgestone now... Chris, Sorry I would prioritize tire safety and reliability ahead of a company's offshoring policy. Only if they both offer comparable performaning products at comparable prices would the offshoring policy be a consideration. Also Good Year Tires are listed on the Lou Dobbs Exporting USA Jobs and two weeks ago entered large outsourcing agreement with IBM in Europe. http://www.consultant-news.com/Artic...ay.asp?ID=1412

Leave a comment:

• R.Daugherty
    replied

Definitely awesome, Chris. More or less like you and Joe are saying, we have to make a difference with our purchases, at least for those who have a job and have something to purchase with. rd

Leave a comment:

• Guest.Visitor
    Guest replied

I just heard an awesome commercial on the radio by Good Year tires. They explained how Bridgestone, their competition, is replacing American workers by outsourcing jobs overseas, and if you want to support America, buy Good Year. I wonder how the Bridgestone board will react? Bring jobs back to America? Or take their chances for a year and hope the earnings are not impacted? I'll definitely choose Good Year over Bridgestone now... Chris

Leave a comment:

• J.Pluta
    replied

"What about Best Buy is a precedent ?? Companies are always looking at ways to cut costs, and sometimes that involves a reduction in staff numbers. As Chuck points out the Companies have a responsibility to share holders." And maybe this needs to be moderated. Maybe companies need to be held accountable to more than the bottom line. For example, how much money is this REALLY going to save? In what way? How much of these savings will actually get to the shareholders as opposed to executive bonuses? How much will this really mean in terms of earnings per share? Is that worth the social cost of putting 900 people out of work? Is anybody checking to see that these jobs are staying in the country? If not, why not? Back in the days before multinational conglomerates, there was at least some incentive to be loyal to your community, because if you weren't, your customer base voted with their wallets. These days, companies are only beholden to the 90-day stock price, and if we don't do something about that, we're all going to be out of jobs. Every glibly says "responsibility to shareholders", but that includes making sure there are still customers for all those high-priced consumer goods, as well as continuing to build community goodwill. Joe

Leave a comment:

• dmjae2004@yahoo.com
    replied

You and Dave400 have insisted that the jobs are staying in the country, but you have no proof of that. Joe, I am not insisting the jobs are staying in the country. I am just not leaping to a conclusion they are leaving the country. I see nothing to indicate that any company being considered for the outsourcing contract will pick up those workers. The way I read the linked articles there was a suggestion that a number of the people would be transfered to the outsourcer. But to me the fundamental problem is that Best Buy is getting rid of workers just to gain a few cents of earnings per share, and that is a bad precedent. You and Dave400 don't address the fact that some 900 people in Minneapolis will be without a job (in fact, Dave400 seems to think it's a good thing). What about Best Buy is a precedent ?? Companies are always looking at ways to cut costs, and sometimes that involves a reduction in staff numbers. As Chuck points out the Companies have a responsibility to share holders.

Leave a comment:

• J.Pluta
    replied

Kumar, once again I suspect language as the problem here. The WSJ memo was most certainly not dated April 5th. I suggest you read the following link to get the timing correct: Joe Pluta 4/8/04 7:48pm In it, I lay out the timeline of the situation. On March 19th, a memo was leaked. As late as March 27th, Best Buy was denying it. Finally, on March 31st, they admitted they were outsourcing, although there has still been no word as to who is gettnig the contract. The memo indicates Accenture, but nobody knows for sure. You and Dave400 have insisted that the jobs are staying in the country, but you have no proof of that. Accenture and EDS both use plenty of offshore workers, so there is no guarantee that if either of them gets the contract that it will mean work for American workers. Best Buy also works with Tata and especially Wipro, either one of which could get that particular work. Until you can prove that work is going to Americans, it is just as likely to go offshore. Finally, my position is actually not contingent upon where the jobs go. I see nothing to indicate that any company being considered for the outsourcing contract will pick up those workers. If they do get offshored, that's another issue that I will be certain to make remarks about. But to me the fundamental problem is that Best Buy is getting rid of workers just to gain a few cents of earnings per share, and that is a bad precedent. You and Dave400 don't address the fact that some 900 people in Minneapolis will be without a job (in fact, Dave400 seems to think it's a good thing). I'd be interested to see exactly how much money they're saving by putting people out of work in a tough economy. Joe

Leave a comment:

• ACT
    replied

Joe, Dave400 posted the site INFOWEEK and COMPUTERWORLD earlier on this thread not me, I simply read the links. The article only confirm what is written by the WS Journal. It was dated April 5. The ff. statements is only a portion of ONE of these articles. "The Wall Street Journal recently reported that an internal Best Buy memo indicated that Accenture Ltd. is preparing to assume management of some of the company's IT services and telephone call centers by June 1. The memo stated that Best Buy anticipates that a significant percentage of IT associates will be offered positions with Accenture, according to the Journal" You can go to the sites and confirm it, I'm sure everyone on this thread have visited these sites already. In fact others made some comments already regarding the article.

Leave a comment:

• R.Daugherty
    replied

We had 800+ IT staff in a $24B wholesaling operation, and 400+ IT staff in a $10B retail operation, so I agree Joe the IT staffing is not out of line at all. A few days after I read this thread I got around to reading the ComputerWorld article and saw that the CIO resigned along with the outsourcing announcement. Now he could just be unhappy, but in my opinion outsourcing is primarily driven by deep dissatisfaction with IT, and I think they unloaded the operation as a turkey. I have no idea what kind of IT operation it was (mainframe, Unix, etc.) Of course when they unload to a big consulting firm the big consulting firms are shipping work overseas, but that only reflects in the pricing they bid against others for the contract, who probably all were counting on having work done as cheaply as possible. Bottom line, I doubt Best Buy has a clue who is actually doing the work. We have seen this outsourcing bringing it back inhouse dance for decades, either way the argument made to save costs. This time though it's not American IT staff inhouse or working for a consultant, so the outsourcers may finally be able to be cheaper than inhouse using overseas staff, I don't know. It's hard to ever picture EDS, Anderson, or IBM as cost effective even using free labor. rd

Leave a comment:

• J.Pluta
    replied

Kumar, you still have not provided any proof of any statement you have made, you simply argue with mine. This is unacceptable behavior. Expect no further responses. Joe

Leave a comment:

• ACT
    replied

Joe, You questioned my 900 programmers figure. Who wrote this statements then: "And even if EDS or Accenture gets the job, it's just as likely that they'll increase staff using offshore workers as onshore workers. I've seen nothing to indicate that either company would be willing to take on the salary burden of 900 American programmers. Where is your proof?" I suggest before you put anything into writing, you should proof-read it first for it will boomerang on you. Remember I jump into this thread because of my belief that "BOYCOTT" is not good for America and all I've got is your "laugh" and history lesson. Stick to the issues without sarcasm, and I will put into the table my honest and unbiased 2 cents without any prejudice.

Leave a comment:

• J.Pluta
    replied

Your numbers make no sense. I said 900 IT staffers, based on the report I quoted at the beginning. That number is perfectly reasonable. Even at 40K per year, the total is less than 1% of their operating expenses. That's hardly an overwhelming number. As to the supposed WSJ report above, it's based on old news. Your dates are inaccurate. http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantoni...2/daily39.html I already reported this. Best Buy then denied any layoffs according to a report on the 27th. As far as I'm concerned, based on the misinformation I quoted in earlier posts it would require an overwhelming leap of faith to take any Best Buy statements at face value. Anyway, this conversation has lost all semblance of productivity. I simply said Best Buy are jerks for outsourcing IT staff during a time when they are making record profits. I think it's a stupid, shortsighted move and it is despicable enough to me that I will take my business elsewhere. You don't like it? That's your own opinion. I can't make you share my point of view. But one thing I can do is to avoid further interaction with someone who acts unprofessionally and disrespectfully. Phrases like "Wake-up and stop dreaming" are not acceptable, and I will not tolerate them, especially from someone who uses a pseudonym. Good day. Joe

Leave a comment:

• ACT
    replied

Joe, For your eyes only: "The Wall Street Journal recently reported that an internal Best Buy memo indicated that Accenture Ltd. is preparing to assume management of some of the company's IT services and telephone call centers by June 1. The memo stated that Best Buy anticipates that a significant percentage of IT associates will be offered positions with Accenture, according to the Journal" This is dated April 5, If you want to dig for more, I suggest you get a subscription of the WS Journal to keep you abreast of the latest development. What you have is history ( dated March ), a lot of things have transpired by then. Your figure of 900 programmers is absolutely wrong. If they have that much programmers with their size of around 20B per annum sales, then I think they have so much fat in I.T. programming staff to get rid off. I'll bet my last shirt, they only have less than 200 programmers, which I'm sure will be absorbed. I suggest that you stop insinuating based on unreliable sources. Again you made wrong ASSUMPTIONS...WIPRO, INDIA, TATA... This is just a figment of your wild imagination. Wake-up and stop dreaming. Personally, I don't like your [laugh]...[laugh] antics too.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X