It's not about competition, folks...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But, Chuck, we're mad at the injustices in the world and we want to protest! It's not about the competition, it's about us! :-) What's funny is that the article didn't even say the jobs were going offshore. If all 900 of those "1000" IT jobs were off-shorable, that would be amazing. And what of the 8,500 middle manager jobs that the article mentions are being eliminated? Is it "un-American" to get rid of those too, or is it just the IT jobs? Hmmm...If we boycott that store, I wonder where we'll go to buy our offshore-produced electronic goods? Brian

Comment

We vote with our dollars everytime we make a purchase. This does not mean that the competitor (that we did not buy from) will automatically go bankrupt. However, companies do go out of business because people don't buy their products. This is called competition. I agree that we should not judge companies soley based on a single news item and react irrationally. Yes, it is difficult to know whether a company has a philosophy that you want to support or not. However, when I receive "reliable" information (wherever that comes from) then I evaluate it and choose whether I want to buy from this company or not. If this is not part of your thought process....fine. I am not able to do this for each and every company, but I do the best I can. I too would like to keep as much of the profits, from my purchases, stay in the USA with US companies. I would also prefer that jobs stay in the USA. These are MY opinions.

Comment

I like these ideas, David! Full disclosure. Do you have any specifics on the tax breaks that companies get? Brian

Comment

Chuck Ackerman wrote: Well, actually, I've never purchased a GM car. I've only owned Chrysler and Ford products. Each and every one of my cars were manufactured on U.S. soil. Are you sure about that. TTBOMK Chrysler maintains a plant in Windsor Ontario, and Ford has plants in Spain and Mexico. BTW, I recently learned that "The Simpsons" farms out much of the animation process to South Korea. Dave

Comment

Susan said: "GM manufactures cars overseas and they actively ship IT jobs offshore. Now, if you prefer to make an American CEO rich rather than a German or Japanese one, fine." Well, actually, I've never purchased a GM car. I've only owned Chrysler and Ford products. Each and every one of my cars were manufactured on U.S. soil. Susan also said: "But buying a GM car doesn't help average Americans more than buying a Nissan or other so-called foreign car manufactured in the US." I'll have to disagree. The profits stay home and are reinvested in the business or employee salaries. Much of the profits in Japanese cars are use by Japanese companies to purchase U.S. land. Much of Hawaii, the Wilshire district in L.A. and many other cities is owned by Japanese corporations. Conversely, the Japanese government does not allow non-Japanese companies to purchase Japanese land. Also, taxes on the profits for Japanese manufacturers does not go to the U.S. coffers. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer.

Comment

I wish I did. My contacts are a bit unclear, except to say that the tax code provides such breaks. Evidently this is because there are many provisions that may be taken advantage of, and depending on the situation one company may take a tax credit while another takes a deduction. Apparantly there are several loopholes, and they run wide and deep. The full disclosure measures are still being hashed out. I hope to have something specific should anything turn into a "bill". Dave

Comment

"Working together, we can train one million teachers to integrate technology into lesson plans, outfit 100,000 schools with wireless communications and computing capabilities, and deploy 10 million computers in classrooms over the next five years in Southeast Asia," Craig Barrett, Intel's CEO

Comment

RE: the tax stuff, I did see some stuff here on Kerry's web site.
                  Current tax laws allow American companies to defer paying taxes on income earned by their foreign subsidiaries until they bring it back to the United States. If they keep the money abroad, they avoid paying U.S. taxes entirely.
                  Kerry would require companies to pay taxes on their international income as they earn it rather than being allow to defer it. The new system would apply to profits earned in future years only, not retroactively.
                  He also would allow companies to defer taxes when they located a business in a foreign country that serves that nation's markets. A U.S. company seeking the tax break could open a car factory in India to sell cars in India, for example, but could not relocate abroad to sell cars back to the United States or Canada.
                  But that seems like it will only affect those companies with foreign subsidiaries, which is certainly not most of the businesses in the U.S. And you've got to watch the voodoo B.S. promises from all politicians, of course. My favorite one so far: Kerry says his plans will create "10 million jobs", but according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, there are only 8.4 million unemployed people in America (paragraph 2, sentence 1). So does that mean more work visas? :-) Brian

Comment

Is that supposed to be bad? I see an American multinational company wanting to sell 10 million computers. They're not giving them away. They'll sell to whoever will buy. It's business. Should they not do it? Brian

Comment

Comment

David asked: "Are you sure about that. TTBOMK Chrysler maintains a plant in Windsor Ontario, and Ford has plants in Spain and Mexico." Absolutely. It's easy to check, there's a metal plate on the panel of the driver's door which discloses the location of the factory. BTW, you're right that Chrysler did manufacture some of the mini-vans in Windsor. I purchased 3 Voyagers over the years and when I ordered them (I always order my cars) I specifically asked for a Voyager produced in St. Louis. David added: "BTW, I recently learned that "The Simpsons" farms out much of the animation process to South Korea." Since I've never seen a full Simpson's episode (just not my kind of humor) then I guess I've effectively boycotted their product, eh? Unfortunately, it didn't send them into bankruptcy! ;-) chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer.

Comment

:-) It is ironic that other nations are investing heavily in their educational systems to gear up to compete on an international basis while we debate this goofy stuff as our own graduation rates aren't what they should be. Brian

Comment

I must be ready for the recylce heap. None of this seems goofy to me. I don't want to keep technology away from any country, but if we don't keep up and then one up we will pay with our freedom. Our freedom and present and past standing in the world(if you don't like my pronouns, boycott me, don't read em')was won with the use of technology by people with values. Without values we are just a bunch of animals preying on each other. When I was younger American values were good. I will continue to fight to keep em good and pass those on to my grandchildren. We cannot benefit if we knowingly let the cistern run dry. It is not wrong to believe in things and fight for them. It is only wrong if it is bad things. The wish to live in a strong country that stays strong is not a bad thing. It is not a bad thing to wish to survive. Look around at weak countries. We, we , we.

Comment

I agree with everything you said. It's my belief that we need to do everything we can do as individuals and collectively to compete on an international level to keep our country what it has been and is. It ain't gonna be easy... Brian

Comment

Is there a cultural gap here?... Or are the supposed IT intelligentsia less sophisticated than I assumed? Let me lay it out fer'ya Singy, baby! Bigtime CEO cries "foul" when he discovers the workers in his Homeland crave to live in a manner in which they are accustomed to. "Are they not knowing the Freedom of Capitalism is True Enlightemment?", he thinks. Gets on the phone to the nearest Pacific Rim Country, "Can you make your people eat dirt for a quarter?". "Sure, come on over" is the reply. Bigtime CEO fires hundreds or thousands of employees telling them, "Get a Life!". Spends millions on training and schooling his new-found slave..oops, Work Force in said Pacific Rim Country instead of investing in his Homeland (where he lives High on the Hog) by re-training and educating the People he has just fired and forgotten. Get it NOW?

Comment

Working...
                                X