It's not about competition, folks...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kumargovindas said, "... Well, a good example is when Circuit City close its doors in my area, no other electronic store pick-up the slack. Now Gateway is closing too...." Perhaps no electronic store opened in your area because there is no "slack" to pick up. This is the scenario I, indeed a lot of us who oppose outsourcing, predicted. With middle class jobs leaving the country, there is less disposable income available for items like electronics. And people with jobs think twice about spending money on electronics, or entertainment, or travel, etc., when they realize that their job could go overseas next. This situation will get worse until there are comparable (salary-wise) alternatives for the workers displaced by outsourcing. Unemployed or underemployed people typically will not spend money at Circuit City or Best Buy or other non-essentials.

Comment

Thomas M. Stockwell wrote: > I recently had an interesting exchange that typifies, in my mind, how > the outsourcing process will ultimately fail for companies. But this experience does NOT show the downfall of international outsourcing, this could have easily happened with a US collections company. Stories have abounded for decades about the ruthlessness of collection agencies and this one was no different. Bill

Comment

Interesting article... Entrepreneurs are born, but can they be taught? Brian

Comment

They plan to put nearly 1000 American IT workers out of work, in all likelihood shipping their jobs to India. As you can see, this is not about a corporation "struggling to survive" or anything like it. It is about greedy corporate owners squeezing every last penny of profit possible at the expense of American workers. Perhaps you are reading a lot into the article that was not there. Checking other sources it is likely the outsourcer will be Accenture and previous outsourcing of the help desk was EDS. Infoweek Computerworld According to these articles many of the people will transfer across as part of the outsourcing. It seems from the comments in this thread the concern is more on offshoring, than outsourcing.

Comment

Dave400 said, "... Checking other sources it is likely the outsourcer will be Accenture and previous outsourcing of the help desk was EDS. ..." Both Accenture and EDS (a.k.a. Electronic Data Systems) are known to send jobs offshore. Check the Exporting America list: http://www.cnn.com/CNN/Programs/lou.dobbs.tonight/

Comment

A google search of "Accenture India" found some interesting links. Did you know they are doubling their IT work force in India? Click here. Chris

Comment

Thanks for the link! Circuit City is on the list of offshore outsourcers. HH Gregg is not. Chris

Comment

So should Joe be boycotting Best Buy or Accenture and EDS ? The articles do make reference to that most of the existing Best Buy staff would/did transfer. A number of posts in this tread suggest the introduction of Government Tarrifs is required to "protect" the local IT industry. If the government did introduce the tarrifs how do we expect the local IT industry to respond ? In other industries where these tariff protections exsit the industry has also needed to respond with improvements. P.S. It seems E-Loan have come up with a reasonable approach Offshore Opt In or Out

Comment

That was a pretty good discussion on that forum. Thanks for the link. The two day delay if an American call center is used is explained by the CEO as because India is 12 hours off. The explanation is interesting. He says if the call is taken in India, America works on it that day, then India that night. But if American call center takes it, America works on it that day and then it sits overnight, then they work on it next day, resulting two day delay. So back office processing is mixed in with call center option. It is an interesting "all American" or "international, but call center is always India choice". Call center could always be American and overnight backoffice processing performed in India, but then that would always be chosen and e-Loan wouldn't save the labor costs,so of course they won't offer that. As for tarriffs protecting IT jobs, as far as my post goes the tarriffs I propose are against all imported products, including telecommunications services and goods from American subsidiaries, based on the amount of trade imbalance. If a country buys as much as we sell to them, there is no tarriff. That is trade, after all, is it not? Trade is fine. Exporting creates jobs. Without exporting though there is not enough trade, just importing instead of importing and exporting at comparable levels. China has a $100 billion trade deficit and would not buy an American product they could rip off to save Mao Tse-Tung's memory. A 20% tarriff, their share of our trade deficit, can be used by the government to buy more expensive American made goods instead of importing it. If China and India buy as much as they sell, then we're trading, there are no tarriffs, and God bless them. rd

Comment

"So should Joe be boycotting Best Buy or Accenture and EDS?" Folks, I'm not suggesting anybody else do anything, so this isn't as organized as a "boycott". What I am saying is that I find Best Buy's employment practices reprehensible: in a period of huge growth, they are laying off IT workers. Because of this, I will choose to shop elsewhere. I hope other people do the same, but you need to come to that conclusion on your own. Why I continue to post in this thread is because some people have the mistaken belief that maximizing profit to the exclusion of all else is capitalism. Not true. Capitalism does not mean cutting every cost to the bone. It means creating a successful business. If you can get comparable return for the same investment, you consider it, but any such change demands that you factor in incidental costs (turnover, training, and so on) and intangibles, such as customer satisfaction and employee loyalty. It also means having certain responsbilities to the community and to your employees. But these sensibilities get lost once a company becomes locked into the 90-day stock price cycle. Personally, I think the demands of Wall Street are often diametrically opposed to what is good for the American worker. This case is a perfect example. I feel Best Buy is practicing poor corporate citizenship by dumping employees solely to add a few pennies to the earnings per share column. If you don't feel the same as me, then by all means, buy stuff at Best Buy. As to Accenture and EDS, I by definition boycott them, if you'd like to use that term. I won't do business either with or for them. Joe

Comment

Chris said: "Circuit City is on the list of offshore outsourcers. HH Gregg is not" Where in the world is HH Gregg located? Timbuktu? Joe said: "Folks, I'm not suggesting anybody else do anything, so this isn't as organized as a "boycott"." This is "Parachute Journalism" at it's finest. Now I can call you a liar. Next time make your reporting accurate for credibility is very volatile. Also, take a refresher course in history. Susan said: " Perhaps no electronic store opened in your area because there is no "slack" to pick up" Their is a slack to be pick up, but the problem is that it will take time ( 2 years of planning, feasibility study, buiding and organizing staff to my knowledge ) to put up a store. "It's easy to demolish, but difficult to build" so the saying goes.

Comment

Gee, someone that makes me look nice in comparison. That's hard to do. rd

Comment

Joe wrote "What I am saying is that I find Best Buy's employment practices reprehensible: in a period of huge growth, they are laying off IT workers. Because of this, I will choose to shop elsewhere." But as I read the articles Best Buy management believe they can be more efficient by outsourcing their IT. The vast majority of their existing employees transfer as part of that outsourcing. I am missing what is so reprehensible about this action. As per my original post of this thread, I think you jumped to an incorrect assertion that this was all happening as an offshore effort with a major loss of US jobs.

Comment

Well, the real question is where are you located? Why is Circuit City closing doors there? Surely your local newspaper has written about this. Perhaps they are closing doors because their outsourcing projects failed. Just tell me the name of your city (and country?) and maybe I can do a google search or call their customer relations and tell you why! HH Gregg is about 5 miles from me, an easy drive. Best Buy is closer but... Have you heard of the internet? It allows you to buy things online. Ask Mark Cuban. He bought a $40 million dollar jet online. Or do you need to shop and have the product on the same day? Chris

Comment

Joe said: "They plan to put nearly 1000 American IT workers out of work, in all likelihood shipping their jobs to India" The truth is most of them ( not all, since the VP already resigned ) will be absorbed by EDS or Accenture, which is under negotiation. This will bring more revenues to Illinois or Texas. In short the JOBS will stay here in the USA not offshored to India. I suggest you double check your source to avoid this type of trouble typical in "Parachute Journalism". I understand that some people from this tread go ballistic after this misinformation that not only American I.T. jobs will be lost, worst of all it will be offshored to India. Sorry folks FALSE ALARM !!!!! I suggest you apologize to Best Buy for putting them in bad faith.

Comment

Working...
                                X