It's not about competition, folks...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's not about competition, folks...

Hey Ralph, Got it. I hadn't read about retooling being used as an excuse, although I'm sure there are all kinds of things being used to dance around what is probably the real issue, which is money. Brian P.S. Welcome back, BTW. Glad to read from you again! ;-)

Comment

Ralph said: "in my opinion outsourcing is primarily driven by deep dissatisfaction with IT...We have seen this outsourcing bringing it back inhouse dance for decades, either way the argument made to save costs. " From afar your assessment seems the most logical. The Best Buy case probably has nothing to do with saving costs but everything to do with politics. I suspect, like you, that Best Buy is outsourcing IT because it became a fiefdom that had way too much power and autonomy within the organization and this is the best way they could tame the beast. The resignation of their CIO is a telltale sign. We must remember that Best Buy's core business is retailing, not IT. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer.

Comment

Joe said: "there was at least some incentive to be loyal to your community, because if you weren't, your customer base voted with their wallets...as well as continuing to build community goodwill." While I agree with your sentiments there really is no incentive to "do the right thing" for most companies. Often doing what's right for the community is totally opposite to doing what's right for the employees or the company. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer.

Comment

Chris, I doubt this campaign will have a big impact. Most people don't like to support competitive slamming campaigns. And, it will certainly have no effect on those who buy foreign tires such as Michelin or Yokohama. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. "Chris Ringer" wrote in message news:6aea2e89.95@WebX.WawyahGHajS... > I just heard an awesome commercial on the radio by Good Year tires. They explained how Bridgestone, their competition, is replacing American workers by outsourcing jobs overseas, and if you want to support America, buy Good Year. > > I wonder how the Bridgestone board will react? Bring jobs back to America? Or take their chances for a year and hope the earnings are not impacted? I'll definitely choose Good Year over Bridgestone now... > > Chris

Comment

Chris said: "Also Good Year Tires are listed on the Lou Dobbs Exporting USA Jobs" Good, I'm glad to see we've got a McCarthy-like blacklist going. ;-)

Comment

The Best Buy case probably has nothing to do with saving costs but everything to do with politics. I suspect, like you, that Best Buy is outsourcing IT because it became a fiefdom that had way too much power and autonomy within the organization and this is the best way they could tame the beast. Chuck, What do you know about Best Buy IT that you are not telling us ? I have seen nothing in their previous presentations/articles/press releases that would support these allegations. Where as if you look at their financial performance better management of their costs has to be big concern. The resignation of their CIO is a telltale sign. Really ??? To me reading the CIO has been outsourcing IT services since 2000 suggests he is pro-outsourcing. You may also want to read this press release http://quickstart.clari.net/qs_se/we....RRDw_DSM.html when Best Buy announced their Global Sourcing Office in China (nothing to do with outsourcing, but shows the global thinking the CIO was applying across the business. We must remember that Best Buy's core business is retailing, not IT. Yes, and to most retailers IT is just an additional cost of doing business.

Comment

They plan to put nearly 1000 American IT workers out of work, in all likelihood shipping their jobs to India. You and Dave400 don't address the fact that some 900 people in Minneapolis will be without a job It turns out there are 130 jobs lost as part of the outsourcing, and it was done with Accenture who are taking on the other 650 IT staff, leaving 40 people in Best Buy IT. Employees being terminated will be kept on the company's payroll through about mid-June, then receive severance packages. Best Buy IT Outsourced Does this outcome alter people's actions on how they will, or will not, shop at Best Buy ?

Comment

Best Buy announced a great quarter. They're leaps and bounds above last year, recording what they call a "banner year" with income rising 29%. This is thanks in no small part to the American consumer. The result? http://news.minnesota.publicradio.or...j_bbuyresults/ They plan to put nearly 1000 American IT workers out of work, in all likelihood shipping their jobs to India. As you can see, this is not about a corporation "struggling to survive" or anything like it. It is about greedy corporate owners squeezing every last penny of profit possible at the expense of American workers. I love Best Buy. I like just wandering through the aisles. But it looks like I may have to vote with my wallet and find another source for electronics and videos. How can I continue to support a company that lays off my coworkers for no reason other than greed? Joe P.S. I plan to write to Best Buy. I'm going to mention this in an upcoming MCMagOnline column as well. If you'd like to comment privately, feel free to drop me a line.

Comment

Thanks, Dave, for this update. If (and that's still a big "if") this is actually how the outsourcing works, then I'm willing to change my stance somewhat. I have two issues: 1. Best Buy lied about this from the get-go, so I have no reason to believe this is really what will happen. I'll be interested to see how many of these staffers actually receive "comparable offers", and what "comparable" means. Comparable is not "you get 60% of your orgiinal salary and have to work 50 billable hours a week with 50% travel". 2. 130 people is still 130 people. The company is growing and doing great things, and they're still putting 130 people on the street. That's a lot of people. The severance mitigates the issue somewhat, but it's still a lot of people without jobs thanks to Best Buy. I think my personal decision will rest upon whether or not those 650 people really get jobs, or whether they're just going to be offered gofer positions, or are temporary workers poised to be cut as soon as all this blows over. No matter what though, it's clear that companies are finally starting to realize that wholesale layoffs are no longer acceptable. Sears is looking to do the same thing, outsourcing a portion of its work, but with the understanding that most of the affected staff will be picked up by the outsourcer. It's clear to me the vocal anti-outsourcing community is having an effect - I don't think either Best Buy or Sears would have worried about their displaced workers a year ago. Joe

Comment

Working...
                    X