Sweet irony

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweet irony

Joe, Imagine how different our world would be had the United States had the guts in 1939 to take care of Hitler. Those days we didn't want to get involved. It's clear that Hussein was on a path to become the next Hitler. He already had the mass murder thing down. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. "Joe Pluta" wrote in message news:6ae8b07d.-1@WebX.WawyahGHajS... > Last night one of the networks was playing the Wizard of Oz, and that's a favorite in my household, so I went to bed with the strains of "Ding Dong the Witch is Dead" in my head. > > And lo and behold, I get up this morning to the news that Hussein is captured in a hole in the ground on a farm near Tikrit. The irony is just wonderful. > > Joe

Sweet irony

See attachment. :-)

image001.jpg

Comment

Sweet irony

What I'm continually amazed at is the fact that there are people STILL arguing against this war. It just goes to show that there is no way that human beings will all agree on anything. Joe

Comment

Sweet irony

I Agree with you Joe we as humans can't agree on any thing. The good part is we in this country can express our opinions about any thing and not fear. I think the Iraqi people and people every where deserve that same freedom.

Comment

Sweet irony

Very funny! "Brian Singleton" wrote in message news:6ae8b07d.1@WebX.WawyahGHajS... > See attachment. :-) >

Comment

Sweet irony

Jared, For a democracy to work in Iraq requires at least these two things: Freedom of speech and civilized people. I have my doubts on both of those appearing anytime soon in Iraq. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. "Jared Dawson" wrote in message news:6ae8b07d.3@WebX.WawyahGHajS... > I Agree with you Joe we as humans can't agree on any thing. The good part is we in this country can express our opinions about any thing and not fear. I think the Iraqi people and people every where deserve that same freedom.

Comment

Sweet irony

For those who may not be aware, the photo of the "other" soldier in the caption is of the man whom Iraqis refer to as Comical Ali This was the guy who gave press conferences stating that there were "No Americans in Iraq" even when the troops had already entered Baghdad. Dave

Comment

Sweet irony

Some of us are against this war for many reasons. 1) Yes, Saddam is a bad guy...but what about all the other bad guys running countries. Are we going to invade all the soveriegn countries that are run by bad guys? 2) If the Iraqi people are not civilized, as you state above, and that is a requirement for democracy and we won't leave until they have a democratic government...aren't we going to be there an awefully long time? 3) I won't even get into the WMD that we haven't found. 4) The premise that took us into Irag was that they had WMD. We already know that the intelligence community lied and the Bush administration lied to justify invading Iraq. Since all of this was based on lies...I find it difficult to understand why so many people still think we are justified in being there. Just my opinion Chris Scholbe

Comment

Sweet irony

Chris asked: "2) If the Iraqi people are not civilized, as you state above, and that is a requirement for democracy and we won't leave until they have a democratic government...aren't we going to be there an awefully long time?" We have 2 choices: 1) be there a long time. 2) Leave the country and let it fall into disarray. As typical Americans we'll probably do #2. Presidents are bound by the popularity poll and Americans, in general, have little staying power and want instant results. Eventually we'll elect a president who will yank the troups and create a vacuum that will be filled with a very nasty result. Chris stated: "The premise that took us into Irag was that they had WMD. We already know that the intelligence community lied and the Bush administration lied to justify invading Iraq. Since all of this was based on lies...I find it difficult to understand why so many people still think we are justified in being there." That may have been the popular reason for invading Iraq. Personally, the fact that they were killing more than 3,000 children per month was very disturbing, not to mention the massive killing of the Turks. I truly believe that Hussein was a Hitler in the making. He already had started moving in and encroaching on his neighbors (need I remind you of Kuwait?) just as all expananist dictators want to do. And once he acquired nuclear weapons Isreal, and other countries, would be doomed. Of course, just like in 1939, no one could prove this. But lest we learn from history we are doomed to repeat it. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer.

Comment

Sweet irony

You say "some of us are against this war for many reasons," but the only reason I hear, over and over, is that the Bush administration "lied" about WMD. While I personally think they were stupid to overhype the WMD angle, the truth is that we did NOT go to war over WMD. We went for a variety of reasons, including the fact that Hussein was gassing his own people. As to the WMD, it is public record that Iraq had WMD, but we don't know where they went. There are no records outlining their destruction, as was necessary to comply with UN resolutions. That's what the inspections were all about. But more importantly, Hussein was systematically raping, torturing and murdering his own people. If you feel that's not enough for a coalition of free nations to go in and stop him, then you and I have some different ideas on what "free" means. Freedom is a responsibility, and you can only keep it by striving to give it to others. Anyway, I won't convince you, I'm sure. But I can tell you that, WMD or no WMD, I am perfectly happy that we wiped out the Taliban and deposed Hussein. And if another dictator as bloody and brutal as Hussein shows up, I hope we do the same. Joe

Comment

Sweet irony

Add to that the chance to give democracy (aka self determination) to a part of the world that doesn't enjoy it now. If we can give people more control over their own destinies, that will help clean up the breeding ground for terrorism and increase the safety of the world. I'm in for that. Better than burying our collective heads in the sand.

Comment

Sweet irony

I am categoricaly FOR people being able to live free of the fear that they may be systematicaly tortured and killed. So, why aren't we invading all the other countries where the dictators are systematicaly killing their own people? As much as I like living in a democracy and will fight to preserve our way of life...I can't say categorically that democracy is for everyone. To presume that it is, is....presumptious. We assume that democracy will give people a better way of life and self determination but remember that democracy elected Adolph Hitler. There are no guantees. It IS my hope that all countries will eventually be democratic and that people can live without fear but there are other ways to go about this short of military invasion.

Comment

Sweet irony

Hitler proved the only way to take care of brutal dictators is the one that uses more brutality and force than they have. You can have brutality and force for a long time if you do nothing, or you can choose how long you want to endure that kind of thing by the amount of force you choose to exert in the short run. Ask the WWII Japanese rulers if the amount of force isn't inversely proportional to the will to continue. Ask Neville Chamberlain about hoping all countries get along.

Comment

Sweet irony

Hitler is really not a good model to use for justifying our invasion of Iraq. Hitler invaded other countries, as far as I know, the only invasion that Iraq instigated was in Kuwait and we took care of that. We were happy to leave Hitler alone as long as he stayed within his own borders. If we had wanted to deal with Iraq, that was the time to do it. I understand that there were reasons why we didn't but none of that justifies our current invasion of Iraq.

Comment

Sweet irony

Saddam's Iraq also invaded Iran, and was purportedly going to go for Saudi Arabia as well. Googling, I found this re: Iraq & Iran. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran-Iraq_War Our current invasion of Iraq is an extension of the first invasion. We held back then (a wise decision at the time, I believe), but Saddam continued to thumb his nose at the UN and international law and played brinksmanship and lost. Someone had to step up to the plate on the enforcement side. Brian

Comment

Working...
                              X