X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guest.Visitor
    Guest replied
    What's with Hummer mania?

My husband often comments on the amount (of what he calls junk) I can carry in my Honda. However, with the weather we've been having in Michigan, I'd love to be driving a Hummer through the snow and ice. It's sometimes a struggle for the Honda.

Leave a comment:

• Guest.Visitor
    Guest replied

Ok, what's with the Hummer H2 mania? Suddenly, in the last 2 years the H2's have replaced the Mercedes as the high end car of choice. We have 2 on our street, I see at least a dozen a day just to/from work, and it's become the hot car for teenagers to take to school displacing the Mercedes SLK convertible. I just don't get it, it's not a pleasant looking vehicle, has the exterior lighting of a Mack truck, it gets 8 miles to the gallon, and if you've ever ridden in one you know it has terrible visibility. So, what's the attraction? Is this because of the publicity of the military in Iraq? chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer.

Leave a comment:

• Guest.Visitor
    Guest replied

Kim, I often carry gym bags. I have 3 daughters, 2 of which play travel softball and travel basketball. I'm often carting around gym bags, coolers, luggage and even 5 gallon propane tank with a heater affixed atop. You know what all of this junk fits in? A Mustang convertible. Last summer my 17 year old daughter and I traveled to Park City, Utah for softball nationals and spent a week. Fit everything in the Mustang. Who needs an SUV? Not me. Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with an SUV, I also own an Explorer, a Jeep Cherokee and a Voyager. I just don't drive any of them! chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. "Kim Kuras" wrote in message news:6ae901cb.10@WebX.WawyahGHajS... > Hey Chuck, > I'm in the sub-compact group...Honda. Plus, I have to carry Coach bags instead of Louis Vitton. May not make alot of sense to you but I know the women in this forum will understand.

Leave a comment:

• Guest.Visitor
    Guest replied

Hey Chuck, I'm in the sub-compact group...Honda. Plus, I have to carry Coach bags instead of Louis Vitton. May not make alot of sense to you but I know the women in this forum will understand.

Leave a comment:

• Guest.Visitor
    Guest replied

Kim, A recent news article claims that the front seat legroom in a Hummer is less than the average sub-compact. go figure. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. "Kim Kuras" wrote in message news:6ae901cb.8@WebX.WawyahGHajS... > I was recently in Naples, Florida vacationing with my husband. While driving to the golf course (approx. five miles) no kidding...we saw no less than ten Hummers and two large dealers with packed lots. We discussed seeing so many but with the tinted windows could not identify the Hummer Drivers. After golf, we went to P F Changs for a late lunch and OBTW, the parking lot was full of them. We checked out who was getting in and out of these and it was mainly women in the thirty to fifty age groups. Oh and by the way...we were told most were returning from their tennis matches or golf games at the local Country Club. No wonder they were carrying their Louis Vitton bags. Jealous? Why, not me...;-)

Leave a comment:

• Guest.Visitor
    Guest replied

I was recently in Naples, Florida vacationing with my husband. While driving to the golf course (approx. five miles) no kidding...we saw no less than ten Hummers and two large dealers with packed lots. We discussed seeing so many but with the tinted windows could not identify the Hummer Drivers. After golf, we went to P F Changs for a late lunch and OBTW, the parking lot was full of them. We checked out who was getting in and out of these and it was mainly women in the thirty to fifty age groups. Oh and by the way...we were told most were returning from their tennis matches or golf games at the local Country Club. No wonder they were carrying their Louis Vitton bags. Jealous? Why, not me...;-)

Leave a comment:

• Guest.Visitor
    Guest replied

So I am not the only one wondering what the big deal is about these big vehicles. Nice to know I am not alone. Bentley, my first transportation was a 1970 F100 flatbed yellowish green three on the tree. It was one heck of a truck. I got over 400 thousand miles on the straight six banger. Finally sold it when I kept replacing the starter and fuel pump over and over and over.

Leave a comment:

• Guest.Visitor
    Guest replied

Joe, Seriously, I am looking at purchasing a "very" old Volvo for her. I figure it would be dependable and safe. That's all I care about, now her.........."It must have a cd player and a sunroof". yeah, my thoughts on that are "so you can fly out the sunroof due to you not focusing on driving because you were listening to some crap on cd"?!?!?!?!?! now I am going to date myself! My first transportation (in 1978) was a 1971 Ford Ranger XLT pickup. boy I miss that truck. Two Tone Lime Green. hum, hum, hum, Ford just does not make them like that anymore. CHROME EVERYWHERE!!! Then I inherited (1981) a 1978 Ford Pinto. Begie with a brown stripe under the doors and a sunroof! Best car I ever owned. Drove it 154 miles (round trip) a day to college. I put 250K miles on that car. I wish I could find something that dependable today.

Leave a comment:

• Guest.Visitor
    Guest replied

chuck, that is great! I have printed this and plan on making her read it. Mine will be lucky to have anything other than her thumb! Her brother(11) can not wait for her to have "wheels". He thinks she will become his chauffeur! thanks for the after lunch laugh!!!!

Leave a comment:

• J.Wells
    replied

This is not surprising. It is my understanding that these are built on a GM (Suburban maybe?) chassis. My siblings and I always had hand me downs (and were glad to have them). Mine was a '76 Caprice with a black top and white body. I went to parochial school and my friends nicknamed it "The Nun". It will be five years before my daughter starts driving and I am still trying to decide what she will get. I think my pickup would be too dangerous (in the rain, anyway) and my wife's suv is way to big. Decisions, decisions! My 2¢. Joe

Leave a comment:

• David Abramowitz
    replied

According to Consumer's Reports these things are not the most reliable vehicles on the planet. In fact CU rates them close to the bottom. Personally, my tastes run a bit different. If I wanted a car that did not run, I would get a Lotus. Dave

Leave a comment:

• Guest.Visitor
    Guest replied

Bently, My daughter has a "hand me down" Plymouth Voyager. They call her the "soccer mom" at school and she's thrilled just to have a car! The H2s are taking up way too much space in the school parking lots these days! chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. "bentley.pearson" wrote in message news:6ae901cb.1@WebX.WawyahGHajS... > Funny, I have been wondering the same thing. Here in North Central Alabama, I see them more and more. KIDS DRIVING these things! KIDS WHO CAN'T DRIVE well(because they are inexperienced). My 15 year old daughter wants one. I guess it's what you see on TV. Watch CSI:Miami, the lead actor drives one on the show. MTV cribs, all you see (I am told) are people with these things. I just don't see the need to own and maintain a vehicle that will over a 5 year period cost you +100K. I can get by with a much more "Sensible" vehicle. > > And, all I ever see driving them are kids. No adults, no business use, KIDS!!!! Apparently here we have some insane parents or parents who are trying to impress their kids friends parents!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Guest.Visitor
    Guest replied

Funny, I have been wondering the same thing. Here in North Central Alabama, I see them more and more. KIDS DRIVING these things! KIDS WHO CAN'T DRIVE well(because they are inexperienced). My 15 year old daughter wants one. I guess it's what you see on TV. Watch CSI:Miami, the lead actor drives one on the show. MTV cribs, all you see (I am told) are people with these things. I just don't see the need to own and maintain a vehicle that will over a 5 year period cost you +100K. I can get by with a much more "Sensible" vehicle. And, all I ever see driving them are kids. No adults, no business use, KIDS!!!! Apparently here we have some insane parents or parents who are trying to impress their kids friends parents!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Guest.Visitor
    Guest started a topic What's with Hummer mania?

For one thing, if you use them for biz, you got a pretty good tax break if you bought one last year. If you're not offended by the 'F' word, see also www.fuh2.com. ;-) Brian
Working...
X