Daniel, I thinks he made a mistake...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daniel, I thinks he made a mistake...

Hehe. That's what I thought. I wish I had gotten back to see ctibodoe's response before they deleted the thread, but I'm glad they wiped it out. The sysop's here seem to be on the ball. I agree about the policeing. This is the cleanest forum I've been in. Hopefully it'll stay that way. My favorite wood boat forum got so bad I cancelled it, and then had to change my e-mail address because the spammers had gotten ID's and gleaned everyone's address. -dan

Daniel said, regarding spam: "then had to change my e-mail address because the spammers had gotten ID's and gleaned everyone's address." Here's my method of avoiding/minimizing spam. First, I register my own domain name. Something like chuck.com. (I'm keeping my real one secret lest the spammers be watching!) I use an ISP that allows me up to 100 email redirect addresses. So, when I purchase something on the internet or a web site requires me to enter an email address, I simply create a new redirect. For example, I periodically purchase items from Amazon. I created an email redirect called amazon@chuck.com. That way Amazon sends all of it's email to that address. It gets redirected to my real, private pop account provided by my cable company. I also get the side benefit of knowing who Amazon gives my email address to. If I purchase something from other sites I use purchases@chuck.com. I have others like junkmail@chuck.com. If junkmail@chuck.com starts getting flooded with junk mail then I disable it and create junkmail2@chuck.com. It's worked wonderfully so far. I can also redirect web pages using this method. I have a moblog (a place where my cell phone photos are automatically sent when I take a picture on my cell phone) and it has a long unmemorable name at textamerica.com. I have set up a redirect called photos.chuck.com as a redirect to the long textamerica name. Easy to remember and tell others about. My www.chuck.com goes to a free tripod account for my family's web site. I've created a domain name for each of my kids with similar benefits. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer.

Comment

Very good advice. Before I got my own domain, I used a forwarding service (bigfoot). So far, (about 5 years) I have not gotten any spam forwarded from them. But I only use that address for friends, etc. When the actual address it was being forwarded to got overrun, I'd open something else (yahoo, etc. free e-mail) and re-direct the bigfoot address to it. But now I use a scheme kinda like yours with my own domain, which I finally set up about 6 months ago. The forwarding is not really needed anymore (but I still have it so my friends don't have to change their address books, it's free as well).

Comment

First mistake this decade! Thanks for the correction. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. "ctibodoe" wrote in message news:6ae90474.5@WebX.WawyahGHajS... > Sorry Chuck, couldn't pass it up. It looks like you missed a detail. But, I don't think that automatically makes you a bad manager or dooms the future of anything. Just a mistake. > > But, yea, get rid of the id and revoke anyones priveledges for using the forum for anything illegal.

Comment

Working...
        X