U.S. Jobs Protection Act of 2003

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daniel said: "Yep, often I think many people start nit-picking grammar and the like, when they can't come up with a valid response otherwise. " I disagree. When I send a post and/or a reply to a newsgroup I read and reread it at least 3 times before I ever hit the send button. I believe that anything I post in public with my name on it is a representation of me. I abhor carelessness and believe that sloppy work is not acceptable. When I read a post that is full of improper grammar I believe it represents a lack of effort or a lack of knowledge of the English language. If the presenter is an American the I know that they've had at least 12 years of English instruction. If they are foreign then improper grammar is acceptable. What really galls me, though, is misspellings. Misspelled words are the ultimate in lazy since they simply didn't take the time to turn on the spell check in their newsreader. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer.

Comment

Read your sentence a fourth time. I don't know how I ever got through school without a word processor. ( If the presenter is an American the I know that they've had at least 12 years of English instruction.

Comment

Some things just speak for themselves. Brings to mind something about glass houses. If this was a forum for the advancement of the English Language as a tool, then English should be enforced. I thought this was a meeting place for business people to exchange ideas in more or less, conversational English. This is the method 'I' choose, as many of these thoughts are exchanged in free moments or untaken smoke breaks (have been untaken for 20 years). In any forum of ideas, I am more interested in your ideas and how they might influence or impact me, than knowing you pressed an extra button. I want to read your idea in the rough, rather than miss it, if you on the other hand have to actually take that smoke break. Now if you write an article that shows up on the front page, I expect it to be a credit to you, the industry, and MCPress.

Comment

I always aspire to be perfect but, alas, always fall short! chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. "Bill Goodland" wrote in message news:6ae8e941.77@WebX.WawyahGHajS... > Read your sentence a fourth time. I don't know how I ever got through school without a word processor. ( > > If the presenter is an American the I know that they've had at least 12 years of English instruction.

Comment

ctibode said: "untaken smoke breaks (have been untaken for 20 years)." Congrats. That's the best news I've heard all day! ctibode also said: "I want to read your idea in the rough, rather than miss it, if you on the other hand have to actually take that smoke break. " As any student of the English language will tell you, subtle differences in the wording can create major differences in the meaning. Improper grammar will often be the cause of many a unnecessary debate. Life is all about attention to details. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer.

Comment

My sister, who is a professor of English, told every one in our family to "lighten up" in our personal e-mails. She happily ignores typos and questionable sentence structure and looks for the meanings. Don't get me wrong, her's are always perfect, and if I ask her, she'll gladly critique my writing. If the bad grammar means the meaning is unclear, then yes, that is a problem. It is laudable to try to have totally correct writing, but it's a shame when the point gets missed because the reader is fixated on a misplaced comma or misspelled word. There are plenty of people that are gurus in a particular technology or subject who can't type or spell (my dyslexic boss is one very good example).

Comment

I would strongly urge my colleagues and friends who participate on this web site to write to their representatives supporting this bill. Here is the latest progress Latest Major Action: 9/4/2003 Referred to House subcommittee. Status: Referred to the Subcommittee on Immigration, Border Security, and Claims. USA Jobs Protection Act of 2003 - Amends the Immigration and Nationality Act to revise L-1 nonimmigrant visa provisions (intracompany transfers). Prohibits the admission of an L-1 worker unless the employer files an application with the Secretary of Labor stating that the employer will: (1) not place the worker with another employer; (2) make the L-1 application available for public examination and compilation by the Secretary; (3) provide wage comparability; and (4) not displace U.S. workers during the period of 180 days before and after the L-1 hiring. Requires an employer, prior to petitioning for admission of a specialized knowledge L-1 worker, to file an application with the Secretary stating that good faith steps have been taken to recruit U.S. workers for the job for which the L-1 worker is sought. Directs the Secretary of Homeland Security to consult annually with the Secretary respecting the use and effect of blanket L-1 petitions. Increases the L-1 prior employment abroad requirement. Reduces the period of L-1 admission. Establishes an L-1 employer petition fee. Authorizes the Secretary of Labor to initiate an L-1 employer investigation. Revises H-1B nonimmigrant visa provisions (temporary workers) to: (1) subject all H-1B employers (currently H-1B dependent employers) to such provisions; (2) lengthen U.S. worker displacement protection; and (3) authorize the Secretary of Labor to initiate an H-1B employer investigation. Directs the General Accounting Office to investigate the implementation and impact of amendments made by this Act. Dave

Comment

Working...
                X