Internet Monitoring Tool - For Home use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internet Monitoring Tool - For Home use

I haven't compared latetly, so there might be something better now, but I've been using Norton Internet Security since the original version, which was made by a company in the AS/400 market whose name escapes me now. I've read some things that say 4.0 is a pig, but I'm happy with 3.0. It has user accounts, and you can allow/disallow ports and specific sites. You can also block certain types of content (ActiveX controls, Java applets, pop-ups, etc.) and it blocks ads on web sites too. And it has parental control stuff, and a personal firewall. It comes with Norton Antivirus and I've seen it for less than $10 after rebates. After a year, it starts bugging you for an update subscription, which is about $30. I don't know specifically how the parental control stuff works, because my parents don't really like computers. ;-) And I haven't tried to block chat specifically, so I dunno about that. I've used it on a bunch of systems (including XP) with no major complaints. HTH, Brian

Thanks for your response Bian. I'll check Norton's solution. Looks like Cybersitter 2002 is the choice for pcmag in this review

Comment

David, No matter what, blocking sites is a tricky thing. You never know when you may be sent to an XXX rated site. For example, my daughters play fastpitch softball. The most common shoe for softball players is made by Ringor. Ringor shoes can only be bought on the Internet. However, I didn't know the spelling before I bought them and thought it was spelled ringer. Imagine my surprise when I went to ringer.com and found out it was an XXX site. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. "David Christie" wrote in message news:6aea1a2a.1@WebX.WawyahGHajS... > Thanks for your response Bian. I'll check Norton's solution. > > Looks like Cybersitter 2002 is the choice for pcmag in this review <http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,1135941,00.asp>

Comment

David, I'm a big fan of TechTV and here's a product they recently recommended... http://www.techtv.com/callforhelp/fr...651758,00.html chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. "David Christie" wrote in message news:6aea1a2a.-1@WebX.WawyahGHajS... > I'm looking for an Internet monitoring / blocking tool for my PC at home. We are on Windows XP Home. Each of us have an account on the PC. The purpose is to block sites which are not suitable for children. The kids log onto their own accounts to surf. > > I understand nothing is 100%. We've explained the type of sites they should not be seeing (they said who would want to see that anyway! ... maybe a few more years). The tool is to mostly block them from accidently going to certain sites. > > Here are some of the conditions I'm looking for: > > > * No chat rooms > * No instant messaging > * Ability to block by account > * Sould not crash windows (asking for alot here) > > We are on normal high speed connection, not AOL. The reviews I've read on this a few years ago was not too good. I've heard that NetNanny or something like that has improved. I wil also check pcmag.com for reviews. > > Has anyone here had any success with this type of software? > > Thanks > Dave

Comment

I'm looking for an Internet monitoring / blocking tool for my PC at home. We are on Windows XP Home. Each of us have an account on the PC. The purpose is to block sites which are not suitable for children. The kids log onto their own accounts to surf. I understand nothing is 100%. We've explained the type of sites they should not be seeing (they said who would want to see that anyway! ... maybe a few more years). The tool is to mostly block them from accidently going to certain sites. Here are some of the conditions I'm looking for:
            [*]No chat rooms[*]No instant messaging[*]Ability to block by account[*]Sould not crash windows (asking for alot here)[/list]We are on normal high speed connection, not AOL. The reviews I've read on this a few years ago was not too good. I've heard that NetNanny or something like that has improved. I wil also check pcmag.com for reviews. Has anyone here had any success with this type of software? Thanks Dave

Comment

Thanks Chuck. I had this problem several years ago on Yahoo. When doing a search on a Kids video game, one of the top links went to an XXX site. I contacted Yahoo and they said it was common for some of these sites to include common names in their tags so that the web crawlers would pick them up. To Yahoo's credit the link was gone in a few days. Maybe the web crawlers are a bit more advance today. Dave

Comment

Working...
            X