Outsourced Peaches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outsourced Peaches

Very Interesting. the question I want answered is this: "When a country no longer manufactures any goods of value weither consumed internally (in that country) OR exported to another country, and citizens of that country can no longer economically support themselves and their government, what happens to that country?" I know the answer, you become the FORMER USSR. I can see that happening to the (FORMER) USofA. My former employer sent over 700 jobs from Alabama and North Carolina to Mexico. "Cheaper labor, same product, MORE PROFIT". No one "Cared" about the 700 lost jobs. Last contact I had with any of the people who were "displaced" 90% of them had not recovered. George Bush says " Let the market sort it out". John Kerry says "Boy they are lying bunch of dogs". I say, We all should get our children prepared for a very poor future. Out sourced peaches, nnow that should get the people of Georgia upset!

Outsourced Peaches

Take a look at the next package of frozen shrimp that you buy, see where that came from. Thailand and China. The shrimp and salmon are raised in farms and fed who knows what!!! The salmon has color added to it so that it looks more realistic.

Comment

Outsourced Peaches

Once we get past the obvious, check where your American flag was manufactured. Dave

Comment

Outsourced Peaches

EDIguru said: "See if you can find a lamp anywhere that isn't made in China now." I work for Lamps Plus, the nation's largest specialty lighting retailer, and we have a factory just across the street from my office. However, you're right, we are having more and more of our products manufactured in China. Labor costs and property costs are just too expensive in the U.S. Chuck Ackerman Vice President, Information Services Lamps Plus Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer.

Comment

Outsourced Peaches

Catfish-Vietnam Crawfish-China (for you not from the South-Crawdads or Crayfish)

Comment

Outsourced Peaches

Tibodoe! How's Boudreaux?

Comment

Outsourced Peaches

We, oops, 'I' didn't know you knew the dog's name. But I usually call him other things. He thinks those Chinese crawfish are a little tough. About the only thing 'we' will have left down here that doesn't seem likely to be outsourced are the swamp tours.

Comment

Outsourced Peaches

Some thoughts. I've tried to remain positive about this, but honestly, any remaining optimism on this subject is foolishness IMO. If a man can't even grow a peach for a buck, much less can one, then that man is ultimately one not in control of his destiny. All the "good side of outsourcing" articles of late are a bit much. If jobs continue to be sent offshore, or more simply, eliminated due to cheaper imports &/or cheaper labor, then it's over for the American worker. Period. And please, I’ve heard the argument about horse & buggy workers losing out to the automobile—this is different. ALL JOBS are at risk: The automobile maker, the automobile parts supplier, the mechanic, the tool maker, the construction worker that builds the garage, the car seller, the receptionist, the accountant, ... Ultimately one asks, “Who will be left to buy this automobile?” Here’s the punch line: This automobile costs more to buy than it did when all these people were employed to build it. The market should be allowed to take its own course, but on the other hand, if we continue to let this trend continue unchecked, the anemic job growth we’re seeing now will be a economist's dream compared to the numbers we’ll see in the future. What’s the answer? Beats me. I do know that the Federal Government is the worst place to look for answers. Maybe it simply boils down to CEO’s doing something good for America first, and then make a profit; and giving a worker the chance to answer the question, “Will you take a 5-10% pay cut for a while until we improve our situation?” instead of just firing them.

Comment

Outsourced Peaches

I certainly do not wish to give up hope that we can prevent the US from being flushed down the tubes by corporate greed. But I can only think of a few things to do. Remember all that "Buy American" stuff (you know, back when we were going to convert to the metric system). Well, it's true. Believe me I go out of my way to check and buy products made here over foreign goods. I don't mind the price, because after years of experience with cheap chinese crap I know the odds are in my favor that I will get my money's worth. "Made in the USA" in most cases does mean quality. The other thing is to make sure our public officials know how we feel, and that their jobs will be on the line if they don't listen. I think come Nov. GWB will find people are fed up with his incompetence and favoritism and will simply vote against him and not for Kerry. There is ample historical precedent in politics for simply cleaning house to see what happens next.

Comment

Outsourced Peaches

obornew, I do see a glimmer of hope and here's why. The biggest culprit, in the opinion of many financial analysts, is the public corporation. By regulation a public company's CEO and corporate officers are obligated to think of the shareholder first. That obligation has caused public corporations to see a horizon only in terms of 3 months. They are literally measured by each quarterly return and report to the SEC. Thus, many short term tactics are taken at the cost of long term benefits. Only plans that have an immediate reduction in costs are entertained. I know, I've worked for several public companies in the past. Privately held companies, OTOH, don't have those pressures. Sure they want to make a profit but they can consider the long range and how to be better years down the road, not months down the road. The SEC is not in the picture and neither is a quarterly return. Here's the glimmer of hope... The SEC regulations, in response to scandals at Enron, MCI, etc. has made the filing regulations so cumbersome that many companies are buying back all of their shares and turning them into private companies. That simple step alone can have a big effect on the bottom line since many companies spend an enormous amount of money being SEC compliant. Private companies, like the one I work for, are a much nicer place to work (IMO of course) and we are given the freedom to be creative in our solutions even though it may take longer to implement them. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. "osbornew" wrote in message news:6ae9ea70.6@WebX.WawyahGHajS... > Some thoughts. > > I've tried to remain positive about this, but honestly, any remaining optimism on this subject is foolishness IMO. > > If a man can't even grow a peach for a buck, much less can one, then that man is ultimately one not in control of his destiny. > > All the "good side of outsourcing" articles of late are a bit much. If jobs continue to be sent offshore, or more simply, eliminated due to cheaper imports &/or cheaper labor, then it's over for the American worker. Period. > > And please, I've heard the argument about horse & buggy workers losing out to the automobile-this is different. ALL JOBS are at risk: The automobile maker, the automobile parts supplier, the mechanic, the tool maker, the construction worker that builds the garage, the car seller, the receptionist, the accountant, ... > > Ultimately one asks, "Who will be left to buy this automobile?" Here's the punch line: This automobile costs more to buy than it did when all these people were employed to build it. > > The market should be allowed to take its own course, but on the other hand, if we continue to let this trend continue unchecked, the anemic job growth we're seeing now will be a economist's dream compared to the numbers we'll see in the future. > > What's the answer? Beats me. I do know that the Federal Government is the worst place to look for answers. Maybe it simply boils down to CEO's doing something good for America first, and then make a profit; and giving a worker the chance to answer the question, "Will you take a 5-10% pay cut for a while until we improve our situation?" instead of just firing them.

Comment

Outsourced Peaches

Good point, Chuck. Another thing that would help would be to reform the taxation of dividends to give companies more incentive to make a REAL profit rather than just spike the stock price up. Unfortunately, it's hard to see how we will have meaningful discussions of such fundamentals in such a stupidly partisan, snap judgement, sound-bite driven political environment. But we can try... :-) Brian

Comment

Outsourced Peaches

Bobtheplanet said: "Remember all that "Buy American" stuff (you know, back when we were going to convert to the metric system). Well, it's true. Believe me I go out of my way to check and buy products made here over foreign goods." I, like you, do that. In fact, I have never owned and never will own a foreign made car. My choices are becoming limited now that there's only Ford or Chevy (and I've never owned a Chevy) but there are still many choices. Alas, I'll bet you can look in the garages of many of the whiners who are complaining about outsourcing and you'll see a Toyota or a Nissan or a Volkswagen. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer.

Comment

Outsourced Peaches

Chuck, My company is a LampsPlus vendor. We used to manufacturer here in Pa.--not anymore. It's all in China. We sell to all the major retailers.

Comment

Outsourced Peaches

The bottom line really at this point I think is going to be in tariffs. If we couldn't get a lamp cheaper from China, lamps would be made in America. Boycotting is great, corporate America being forced to change is great. But the bottom line is the profit for all those manufacturing in China. It was on my local news this week about a Corning plant in Pa. that is physically ripping out manufacturing equipment and loading it on container trucks to be shipped to China--they had video with the workers standing there watching. It was disgusting to see. I really believe this country is in trouble. We have given economic power over us to China. We don't need to worry about bin Laden destroying the U.S. The bin Ladens of the world can relax, we're destroying ourselves.

Comment

Outsourced Peaches

Chuck Ackerman wrote: Alas, I'll bet you can look in the garages of many of the whiners who are complaining about outsourcing and you'll see a Toyota or a Nissan or a Volkswagen. I do complain about outsourcing, but I do not whine about it, I actively try to do something about it. I resent the term "whine" particularly when so many are working hard to participate in the change process. BTW, I own a Buick and a Ford. The Ford may have been made in Canada, I'm not sure. They both use Korean, Malaysian, Chinese, and Japanese manufactured parts. If I whine about anything, it's that for the past thirty years I've wanted to own a Lotus! Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X