So...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So...

Joe said: "Maybe the recovery is starting, and maybe it's starting in the second-tier markets. " By that I must assume that you consider Southern California with 15 million people as a "second tier?" Where the heck is the first tier? chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer.

Comment

So...

Joe said: "C. The American way is to come here as an immigrant, take entry-level jobs, work hard, send your kids to school, and within a generation or two gain the American dream." I agree with you on this 100% Joe. The keyword here is "gain." Too many Americans "expect" the American dream. The American way is not an easy path, it requires a lot of hard work, dedication and determination. That may include moving 1,000 miles to get a job. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer.

Comment

So...

David said: "IMO, the damage that this will do to our nation short and long term (if left unchecked) is immeasurable. Without a domestic pool of IT people to choose from, there is the great potential of security damage." This is the first sound argument I've heard for creating any kind of legislation for keeping outsourcing in some kind of check. However, the legislation should be limited in scope and one that only pertains to security concerns. I'm not fond of creating legislation to protect a guy in King City, California because he's afraid to leave his home town to find a job. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer.

Comment

So...

Joe said: "Are you a US citizen? Because if you are not, I believe you have no right to compete for American jobs." Joe, what jobs are considered "American jobs?" Is there some kind of entitlement that I haven't heard about? chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer.

Comment

So...

Joe said: "Non-citizens should not be allowed to work in industries where American workers cannot find employment," I'm sure that could apply to ANY industry or job. There are people that can't find employment no matter what industry it is. I would say that your definition is too broad. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer.

Comment

So...

I think it's important to note, that this is not an article. It is an editorial. To me, this guy has an ax to grind against what he refers to as "techies". At no point in his missive, does he state why outsourcing is a good thing other than to say how "free" you will be if you use it. There are no case studies, no observations, no comparative analysis, just knee-jerk reactionary spew-out-the-mouth blather. If that's the best journalism this guy can muster, his job will be outsourced real quick. Either that or he'll be working for Fox :-) Dave

Comment

So...

I agree that there wasn’t much meat to the Editorial. But is anybody really surprised when they hear the word “Freedom” used to legitimize just about anything and everything? Personally, I think the word is being wielded like a big stick used to bludgeon the little guy. And it’s a tool that’s versatile enough to be the top choice for both the so-called Right and Left. It’s just as handy for prying apart the American Family as it is for knocking off the American Worker. Almost any of the issues that are considered to be “Sacred Cows” are justified by the word Freedom. Free Speech, Free Markets, Freedom of Choice. Conservative, Liberal, Democrat or Republican, it doesn’t seem to matter. Americans, we’re told, are Freedom loving people. Frame the argument in a way that makes the opposition look like they’re against Freedom and the issue is closed to debate. And it makes it easy to demonize anyone who disagrees, using labels like Intolerant, Protectionist, Radical, etc. Somehow I don’t think that the prevailing usage of the word was what the Founding Fathers (or “Framers” for the PC minded) had in mind when they wrote about Freedom. I thought it was more about a Responsibility to follow our Conscience rather than a License to be Self-Centered. But getting back to Outsourcing, Work Visas and Immigration. International Trade and control of our borders are (IMO) two of the few constitutionally authorized powers of the Federal Government. So even if limiting Foreign Workers and Outsourcing is somehow seen as a blow to Free Enterprise, at least it’s legitimate. Compare that to the zillion things that the Feds meddle with every day that are really none of their business. That’s the kind of attack on Freedom that worries me.

Comment

So...

Did any of you ever create systems that put people out of work? I'm guessing so. How did you feel about that? What do you suppose those people did after that happened, and what would/did you advise them to do? Does that parallel what's happening now with outsourcing? Question for advocates of tariffs and protectionism: should there have been some goverment protection against that too?

Comment

So...

I'm confused? Does this mean that the BRP sites for India and Pakistan will reside in the U.S. given their tumultuous relationship?

Comment

Working...
                    X