X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EDIguru
    Guest replied
    Backlash on RFID begins

And you think the greeters won't ever become robots? Since those positions are usually held by elderly retired people that our government wishes would just go away and die cheaply anyway... but I won't go there. Walmart's push for RFID involved warehouse functions such as tracking shipments from vendor by vehicle before they get to the warehouse and not having to scan anything into inventory at a warehouse. You just pull the truck in and unload it because it's already in the inventory system. It also involved being able to pull your cart full of items up to a check out station and automatically have a total bill issued for all the items. Again Walmart is looking to the future where they dispense with all of those low paid, uninsured, unnecessary cashiers. Walmart is not about people or providing high quality goods and services, Walmart and RFID is about making a buck and control. And it is disturbing to hear RFID mentioned in conjunction with passports and driver's licenses. Big Brother is watching you now--in the name of security from terrorists. But what have we lost?

Leave a comment:

• Guest.Visitor
    Guest replied
    Backlash on RFID begins

I have been watching, from the sidelines, the push to RFID by retailers such as WalMart. I did not engage my company in RFID as I believe it will eventually have limited use. I predicted a year ago that once RFID started to gain momentum there would be a public outcry to limit its capabilities to protect privacy. The outcry is beginning with a law that will limit the use of RFID by the California government. I expect that it won't be long before laws affecting the use in consumer products to follow. Check out this article... http://news.com.com/California+bill+...l?tag=nefd.top chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer.

Leave a comment:

• Guest.Visitor
    Guest replied
    Backlash on RFID begins

Ralph, Certainly RFID has significant value in a warehouse environment. Especially if you're trying to find an individual box or pallet. It makes finding things a snap. Also, taking a physical inventory can be accomplished in minutes instead of days making daily physical inventories a possibility. But I don't want an RFID woven into my Dockers so that I can be tracked wherever I go. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. "Ralph Daugherty" wrote in message news:6b2487bb.0@WebX.WawyahGHajS... >I have never understood the value add over just scanning bar codes, >including pallet license plate bar codes. I've read a lot on it, and at no >point did it become more illuminating. > > Everything, including IBM's current marketing push for the AS/400, is to > get rid of people, or barring that, use people somewhere else that don't > have to conform to American laws. > > It won't change until we figure out a way to have no more need of people > getting rid of people. Say, no people needed anywhere? Just computers and > robots communicating electronic currency. > > Oh, right, we'd still need Wal-Mart greeters, wouldn't we? > > rd

Leave a comment:

• R.Daugherty
    started a topic Backlash on RFID begins

Backlash on RFID begins

I have never understood the value add over just scanning bar codes, including pallet license plate bar codes. I've read a lot on it, and at no point did it become more illuminating. Everything, including IBM's current marketing push for the AS/400, is to get rid of people, or barring that, use people somewhere else that don't have to conform to American laws. It won't change until we figure out a way to have no more need of people getting rid of people. Say, no people needed anywhere? Just computers and robots communicating electronic currency. Oh, right, we'd still need Wal-Mart greeters, wouldn't we? rd
Working...
X