X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For all you "Old Guys"

Old is 65, right? rd

For all you "Old Guys"

Ralph - Twenty years ago I would have agreed with you, I was 44. Now I'm wiser and believe old is 80. Ten years from now I reserve the right to once again adjust my definition of old.

Comment

For all you "Old Guys"

Frank, 80 is not necessarily "old". My dad (who would call you "boy") just turned 80 in January. In the past few years, he has taught himself HTML and has learned all about wav, gif, jpg, mp3, etc.... His current project is creating DVDs of childrens songs and stories he composed more than 40 years ago. He was an accountant by profession, but he should have been a programmer. He and the "IBM guy" laid out the punch cards for the first computer that was bought by the insurance company he worked for. A number of years later, I remember him spending countless hours programming a hand held TI calculator (the one with mag cards - long before pc's) to perform complex ESOP calculations. About 10 years later he learned dBase III + and wrote an application to administer policy loans. He is now on his 4th "retirement pc" and I doubt a day has gone by that he has not done something with one. All this was said to say that 80 is not necessarily old either! Joe

Comment

For all you "Old Guys"

I think you have to learn corp-speak. When an exec says that the older people don't have or won't learn the skills, it is meaningless. What the exec is really saying is that he can get younger people to work cheaper. Side note: After so many years dealing with individuals at a variety of levels, I am constantly amazed at the quantity of "spin" used at the highest levels, and yet I can not find a graduate course on "spin" in any college catalog. Dave

Comment

For all you "Old Guys"

Dave: I to am amazed at the quantity of spin. I don't think it is a "learned" "virtue or vice" depending. I believe people are born with that ablility. I once worked for a guy who could not program his way out of a paper sack, but could dazzle management with spin. ABSOLUTELY AMAZING. I guess that's why je was the boss and I did all the work! My boss is a PhD (Marketing) and he agrees. Btw, we checked and The University of Alabama does not offer a course in spin either.

Comment

For all you "Old Guys"

"...The University of Alabama does not offer a course in spin..." They probably wish they did after the backlash from Shula removing the "Croom" award! War Eagle!

Comment

For all you "Old Guys"

In case you haven't seen it, this from the April 8th Issue of News Wire Daily. Of coarse it doesn't apply to me..... until early September, that is. Out of Context OLD ASSUMPTIONS "[Some people] assume that older programmers cannot or will not learn event-driven programming, and that older programmers have never acquired additional skills or degrees along the way. Nothing could be farther from the truth. In fact, the older programmers I work and consult with have always had the ability and drive to learn and adapt. We wouldn't be the 'older programmers' if we had not done so. ... Maybe the outsiders who so blithely lump us together don't really know the truth: What's the point of constantly reinventing programming languages and software tools when none of them truly improve the ability of the industry to do one thing: solve business problems?" — "Old Salt," forum participant, as posted to InformationWeek.com

Comment

For all you "Old Guys"

Joe: I will pass that that along. It's hard being true BLUE and ORANGE working in the "land of the *&^%ed!". WAR EAGLE! Seems "they" can always find a way to take the focus off of our problems.

Comment

Working...
                X