Just a note on outsourcing (maybe)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just a note on outsourcing (maybe)

My call is: It was just a matter of time. Perhaps this has also occurred at firms that were not publicized. Dave

Joe, Busy week-end so I've been out of the Loop. What are your Sources? I'd like to make sure that management here is aware of this. Mike

Comment

My source as to the relationship between Accenture and Privista is a white paper by the guy in question: http://www.accenture.com/xdoc/en/ser...hite_paper.pdf Also, Privista's Chief Corporate Officer is formerly an Andersen employee: https://www.privista.com/pl/privista...managment.html I realize this is circumstantial evidence, but my guess is they're at LEAST using Accenture for some development. As to the downtime, that's not circumstantial: they're still down. I am a customer, and when I called this morning they said they have no idea when they'll be back up. In fact, rather than me keep calling, they'll send me (and thousands of other disgruntled users) a personal email when the system is back up. Joe

Comment

According to their web site The Web site is operated by Privista from its offices in the U.S.A. Also from their web site it appears they are hiring a range of IT people.

Comment

That just means they're running on their own servers (which I'd espect from a company with sensitive financial data). That doesn't mean they programmed the servers. As to looking for developers, they may be trying to in-source. A little more research indicates that some of the coding in recent years was done by contractors. Like I said, you make the call. I only know they're down hard. Joe

Comment

Joe, Let me get this straight. There's this company, Privista, that we know has some ties, somewhere to a company that's involved in outsourcing and offshoring. We don't know anything about these ties, but some people that worked for one company now works for the other. (And your white paper link does not work, by the way.) So does Privista have any actual business dealings with Accenture? Does Privista actually do any outsourcing or offshoring? We don't know that they are actually doing outsourcing, or if they are, what they are outsourcing. I have no clue, do you? Their servers are down. We don't know why. Maybe bad code. Maybe bad hardware installation. Maybe a backhoe ripped up their fiber. I have no clue, do you? So, all this speculation in this thread is for what reason? Sorry, maybe you know something about this situation that I don't, but to me it sounds like just speculation for speculations sake. -dan

Comment

I'm just presenting the information, Dan. Yes, I'm speculating. But if you read my posts over the last year or so, you'll find that I predicted just sort of thing would start happening: major IT systems would start failing, and failing spectacularly. As to WHY they are down, it ain't a backhoe. Until today they kept saying "our systems folks tell us we'll be back up later today." That was until today, when they gave up and said they'll email us when the system returns. Even if it's because their entire system was swallowed by a freak wormhole, it's clear that there's no disaster recovery to speak of in place. My contention is that this is exactly the sort of thing you see when IT is outsourced to the lowest bidder. Was that the case here? I don't know. But I'm relatively comfortable they're not running on an AS/400 with inhouse staff, because by this time they could have gotten a brand new iSeries, loaded their backup tapes and been up and running. And that's my real point. Joe

Comment

I'm really not trying to hawk merchandise, but here's a T-shirt that fits our discussions very well. My Job Went to India and All I Got Was This Lousy T-Shirt -dan

Comment

And that's my real point.
                  Here here! I don't know what the deal is with this specific case, but I know that generally speaking you get what you pay for virtually every time. Some businesses use any tools (& systems) they need to get the job done well, and they generally carry that sense of quality into the company as a whole. Some skrimp and save every nickel on tools (& systems) , and it shows. I've worked at both, and I know which ones I believe will win in the end. Premium is premium. Brian

Comment

I can't give you any more specific information here, folks, because nobody's talking. All I can do is report what I know and let you make your own determination. 1. Privista, a major consumer credit operation, has close ties with Accenture. One of the people who launched the firm now works at the Accenture Institute for Strategic Change, an outsourcing think tank. 2. Privista's computer systems have been down hard since Thursday. Thursday. Not just their website, but all of their business systems. They cannot access customer files, cannot even accept payment. The situation is so bad that they can't even tell you when they will be back up - maybe sometime today, maybe tomorrow. Five days of solid downtime. You make the call. Joe

Comment

Working...
                    X