What's going on with HotMail ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's going on with HotMail ??

Mike, Without examining the email header that was transmitted back to you, it would be difficult to determine exactly the cause, or even to make an educated guess. It could be that your email address was "harvested" by a virus that had impacted another computer owned by an associate. If so, the virus is spoofing your email address, in an attempt to infect anyone who opens an email with the spoofed address. This is the most likely scenario. However, it is also possible that your PC itself is infected, and you should download the latest virus definitions from your supplier of anti-virus software. A third scenario is that your machine has been infected with adware, which has sent cookies or other identifying data about your machine to a server that is compromised with a virus. This is why removing adware is so important. A fourth scenario is that an infected pc is sending you "spoofed" failure to deliver messages, hoping that you'll open the infected message and infect your machine. My advice is that -- unless you absolutely certain that you have sent a message -- do not open any "failure to deliver" messages. Tom Stockwell

Tom, I only have this particular email address in my Hotmail account. It is not stored permanently on my home or work PC. I can't figure out how to view "Properties" in Hotmail, so I've got no idea what's in the message header. The only other possibly helpful info is this: [Content type "application/octet-stream" denied by WatchGuard SMTP proxy] I have received another "Delivery Status Notification (Failure)". Aside from being concerned about my own PC, should I be more persisitent in trying to contact Microsoft ?? If their server is infected and trying to spread this thing, there's no telling how many other computers might be at risk. Mike

Comment

Follow Thomas suggestion. 1. You need to run anti-virus on your PC. (AVG has a free one) 2. You need to run anti-adware on your PC (I like AdAware - free from Lavasoftusa) Probably someome who has you hotmail address or who has joined a bulletin board where you used your hotmail address has a virus on THEIR PC, and THEY are sending out virus messages with YOUR email address as the "from address". Therefore, some anti-virus programs send YOU the messages about a virus. If this is the case, not much you can do, unless you (a) find the offending PC (usually hopeless) or (b) change your email address or (c) set up some email filtering rules in your email account (if available).

Comment

Spyware: More Than a Privacy Issue! If anyone else out there knows of some helpful software, please let all of us know in this forum!

Comment

Is anybody else running into the weird stuff I've seen the last few days ?? Yesterday, I get a "Delivery Status Notification (Failure)" saying that an email I sent was rejected by the Target Server. Only thing is, I never sent the email. And the subject line was "Lovely animals" which I've heard is one that's been used to spread the Bagel Virus. Does this mean that one of the HotMail Servers has got the Virus and it's trying to spread it using my Account ?? I notified HotMail support, got an automated response and haven't heard anything since. Now today, the Ad window that appears way off to the Right, continually gets these Errors. The Error Text keeps populating the window instead of the Ad itself. I will include the Text below. There are two different failures and I've divided them with a line of "====". It's also kind of amusing that the Errors refer to a MySQL Server. Don't know if that's the name of the Server or if the Server is actually running a MySQL Database. Which I think would be ironic, if a Microsoft site was generating Ad revenue using a Share-ware Database. Anyway.... would like to hear if anyone else has experienced this and any guesses about what's going on. Mike
          Code

Comment

In the above case of an ISP virtual email account, mikejsavino should immediately send a notification to the email administrator at Hotmail with a copy of the email that did not originate from your actions. It is clear that someone has misappropriated the email address, and is spoofing the owner's identity. How this happened is a security issue for the Hotmail administrator at the ISP. The escape of that email address probably occurred through a public posting of the address, or through the harvesting of the email address from some other computer's address book. It's doubtful that it was harvested from the owner's machine UNLESS the Hotmail account is the default email account of the owner. However, there is a possibility, though slight, that there was a security breach at Hotmail that enabled the address to be harvested. That is why the notification must be sent to the Hotmail administrator at the ISP. He may suggest that your take a new identity, or he may monitor the use of your account. Regardless, he needs to investigate the header of the email to determine where the original message that was rejected came from. In all situations, when you don't know the origination of an email -- even if it gives your strange, official sounding subject lines -- it is best not to open it. Part of the virus problem we're experiencing is that official sounding email is being re-routed back to addresses, containing virus -- waiting for the unsuspecting to open it and infect the recipient's PC. Send all such messages to the mail administrator. Tom Stockwell

Comment

Working...
            X