Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Politics again: (hey, why not, it is an election year!), any third parties on the horizion that might last, (and really make a difference).

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Politics again: (hey, why not, it is an election year!), any third parties on the horizion that might last, (and really make a difference).

No, indefinetly is a long time, and perhaps. Dave

Politics again: (hey, why not, it is an election year!), any third parties on the horizion that might last, (and really make a difference).

I was speaking with someone from Australia who was telling me a bit about their system. It's my understanding that they have a "progressive voting" system where you can vote for your first, second, third, etc. choices for each office. He said that helps avoid the "throwing your vote away" situations we end up with (ala Nader, Perot, etc.). So if you wanted to vote for a third-party candidate, you could do so without the fear of putting the opposition into office. He also said it has the effect of making the more "mainstream" candidates pick up some of the more popular positions of the alternative candidates. Doesn't that sound cool? I think so. I'm sick of the lesser of two evils. Perhaps someone from Australia can elaborate on how it works... Brian

Comment

Talking federally, we have the 2 house system, House of Representatives & Senate. House of Reps is direct representation whereas Senate is a number of representatives for each state. House of Reps is elected as was explained - you have the member for your electorate chosen in this manner - the number 1 votes are tallied. If no candidate has a simple majority of votes, then the candidate with the lowest number of votes is dropped and their votes redistributed according to the next preference on each ballot. The process is then repeated until a candidate has a simple majority of the votes available. Senate is elected sort of in a similar fashion except reversed. A quota for successful election at the state level is established. In the first round those candidates that get votes that exceed the quota are deemed elected, and votes in excess of the quota are redistributed according to preferences. This is repeated until the requisite number are elected. The candidates are grouped on the ballot paper according to political iffiliation or lack thereof. Recently we have been able to make a single vote for a particular group (party) instead of placing 1 - n against each individual candidate. The 1 against the group translates to 1 - m in sequence for each candidate in the group. I vote at the candidate level for this, not the group level. Regards, Kevin "'Thunder from down under' but not as pretty" Wright

Comment

Recently we have been able to make a single vote for a particular group (party) instead of placing 1 - n against each individual candidate. The 1 against the group translates to 1 - m in sequence for each candidate in the group. I vote at the candidate level for this, not the group level.
        Well, we have a hard time punching holes in paper cards, so there's probably not much hope for that here. :-) :-( Brian P.S Thanks for the explanation!

Comment

don't be fooled. there is only one party. it's called 'Big Government'. Kerry, Bush it doesn't matter which. your taxes will go up, your liberties and general morality will continue to be eroded. suggest the constitution party(constitutionparty.com). the ONLY party i've seen so far that doesn't trample over this 200+ year old document called the Constitution.

Comment

Would anyone like to share any thoughts, feelings and/or predictions regarding any third parties on the horizon that might last - and even make a difference. Could a third party emerge to challenge and ultimately replace either the mighty Elephant and/or the distinguished Donkey as a dominant political party? Is the United States of America's current form of government locked into a 2 party system indefinitely? Will the current 2 parties in the current 2 party system always borrow from each others strengths and weaknesses to stay in power, or could a new third party take elements of both of the 2 big parties and incorporate them into a new and successful new party/force to be contended with? Independents? Libertarians? Some new party?

Comment

It seems to me that whenever interesting alternatives come up that threaten the two-party system, the parties get together and slap them down. There's a proposal in California that would eliminate party lines from the primary vote, sending the two majority candidates on to a run-off the general election. Unfortunately, both parties have too much to lose, so they got together and are working on making sure it doesn't happen. http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs...es/001292.html Brian

Comment

Working...
              X