Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top Ten List : Computer Science and/or Computer related book recommendations.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top Ten List : Computer Science and/or Computer related book recommendations.

Assembly Language on the 360 processor - 1978. Loved it!

Code Complete -- Steve McConnell

Comment

Algorithmics, by David Harel. 3rd Ed. is due out this month, ISBN 0321117840. The Mythical Man-Month by Frederick Brooks. Anything on databases by C. J. Date. I'll have to check my library at home for others.

Comment

The Unix Hater's Handbook Publ IDG ISBN 1-56884-203-1 Dave

Comment

The RPG III reference guide by Bob Cozzi, of course. I didn't care for "Code Complete". The book says to only return one value from a procedure. That just doesn't make sense to me. What if the purpose of the procedure is to chain to a record, test for existence and return a record? Well, you need to return two values: a boolean to indicate "record found" and the record data. Passing back a data structure to fake like it's one field satisifies the rule but again, doesn't make sense. So, I pass back two fields: a boolean and a data structure of the record layout (external DS of the file). Any book on relational database design. Chris

Comment

Bill Gates : "Business @ The Speed Of Thought"

Comment

Top Ten List : Computer Science and/or Computer related book recommendations. Just out of curiosity, please list up to 10 computer science and/or computer related books that you would consider to have been the most helpful to your overall career and/or computer related specific specialty. I am constantly reading new tiles and re-visiting old favorites and just a bit curious to see what recommendations may be posted in response to this query. Thanks!

Comment

The books that have been most helpful to me as a Java Programmer: Code Complete - great Concurrent Programming in Java by Doug Lea Core Java (vol 1 and 2) by Horstmann and Cornell Design Patterns by Gamma,Helm,Johnson, and Vlissides Java Network Programming by the infamous ERH I read these books some time ago and still refer to them enough to keep them on my shelf at work. Of course the book that convinced me years ago that there was actually some science in computer science was the great book on sorting algorithms by Knuth.

Comment

Working...
                X