Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Safest place to live in the United States (It will surprise you!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safest place to live in the United States (It will surprise you!)

A low crime rate is a great thing! But there are other aspects to being the "safest place". What about mudslides, wildfires, and most of all earthquakes? I don't think these can be dismissed. But yeah, it is sad that the warped media view is believed by so many. And about so many things, too. Tom D.

Tom asked: "What about mudslides, wildfires, and most of all earthquakes? I don't think these can be dismissed." Again, a product of overblown media hype. Where I live there are NO mudslides, and wildfires are something I see on TV just like you, they're not near the "safest city." People who live in canyons where mudslides occur and have homes that abut hillsides where brushfires occur (with shake roofs no less) are as dumb as people who live in Missouri along the banks of the Mississippi river where it floods regularly. I have no sympathy for them, they knew the risks when they moved there. Or they should have suspected something when their homeowners insurance bill was so high! As to earthquakes... They are localized here in the west. A big earthquake's damage area is only within a minimal radius unlike tornados, hurricanes and river floods that affect hundreds of miles of vicitims. And, here's a statistic to put earthquakes in perspective. More people die in the Chicago area due to winter related events, EVERY SINGLE YEAR, than have died in ALL of the earthquakes combined inouthern California! Earthquakes are like airline crashes. They make spectacular news because it affects many people at once. Yet, for all it's hype, big Northridge quake in 1994 cost only 33 people their lives. You have to realize one thing about the media... There is no bigger concentration of media than in Southern California. News organizations and especially the entertainment industry are overflowing with reporters and people looking for stories. Every little thing that happens here is blown hugely out of proportion. Just look at the local trials. Kobe, O.J., Michael Jackson. With all of the important things in the world why do we see so much on these simple trials? Also, one more chilling fact. The very largest and most dangerous quake fault in the United States runs right down the Mississippi river. It has a history of rumbling about every 150 years. The last time it shook people in Maine felt it! And, it's overdue as I write this. Earthquakes in the central or eastern United States affect much larger areas than earthquakes of similar magnitude in the western United States. If you live in the midwest and want to be unsettle your world, just go to this link (otherwise just ignore it and think that the big earthquakes are in the west)... http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...sissippi+river chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer.

Comment

Yeah.....but...... The San Adreas fault is different (source: "The Making of a Continent"). Whereas most faults go toe-to-toe, or slip underneath, the San Adreas moves side-to-side. The San Adreas is also part of the great "ring of Fire" covering the perimeter of the Pacific. The bottom line is that southern California is simply more prone to 'quakes than other regions. And the big one is coming, , , , , , , , , , , ,eventually. Dave

Comment

David said: "The San Adreas is also part of the great "ring of Fire" covering the perimeter of the Pacific." Yes, but again even big earthquakes affect only a localized area. Southern Californians will never be injured or killed by skidding on black ice or by a tornado or a hurricane. We also don't have to drive on potholed streets caused by the bad winter weather. All of those weather conditions are avoidable and more dangerous than all of the quakes felt to date. David also said: "The bottom line is that southern California is simply more prone to 'quakes than other regions." Actually, that's the good news. Frequent earthquakes relive the pressure. Earthquakes that hit only once every couple of centries as the Madrid fault in Missouri tend to be big. The last one that hit there in the 19th century was over 8 on the Richter scale. When that hits next anyone building constructed with bricks or cinder blocks can kiss their structure goodbye. That kind of construction is no longer permitted in California and there are few homes ever built here with that kind of construction. David said: "And the big one is coming, , , , , , , , , , , ,eventually." That can be said of every local on earth. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer.

Comment

We also don't have to drive on potholed streets caused by the bad winter weather.
          Nah, ours are there because we have no money left after paying those huge pensions promised to state workers. ;-) Brian

Comment

Our pot holes still exist because that money is spent putting out forest fires in California that the Nature Nazi's cause by not allowing controlled burning of dead and overgrown foilage, every..stinking..year. you can set your watch by it. ;-)

Comment

eddie, I agree that there should be controlled burns that thin out the overgrown forests. But, I doubt that has much to do with your potholes. Potholes in roads, except for U.S. highways and interstates, are paid for by local city and/or state funds. You need to look at your local government for that. If your city is sending money to California to pay for forest fires then I thank them. However, you should vote out such politicians before they spend more money on my state. ;-) We don't have a pothole problem here in California (potholes are generally caused by severe weather) so I wouldn't expect any of my money to be spent on potholes anywhere else. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. "eddie1" wrote in message news:6aeb8017.5@WebX.WawyahGHajS... > Our pot holes still exist because that money is spent putting out forest fires in California that the Nature Nazi's cause by not allowing controlled burning of dead and overgrown foilage, every..stinking..year. you can set your watch by it. ;-)

Comment

The most prolific cause of potholes is rain. Simple rain. In some areas in the outer boroughs of NYC we used to say that it wasn't so much a problem with the potholes, but rather with the small chunks of road that actually remained! :-) Dave

Comment

I'd have to disagree. Freezing water is the cause of potholes. As we all know, water expands when it freezes. And if it's under a road, that causes a bubble in the pavement. When the ice thaws, the unsupported bubble is left and eventually the traffic pops the pavement bubble. Chris

Comment

I live in East Texas and don't have weather cold enough to freeze the ground (let alone water) but we have tons of potholes. Potholes are also caused by shottie workmanship on the roads, extended use with no maintenance, roads built that cannot handle the volumn or the size of vehicles that use them, and many more reasons. I've seen roads start to get potholes and cracks and bumps simply because of a large root.

Comment

Chris and David, I think you both may be right. Certainly freezing water damages the roads. But poorly prepared streets can have the dirt underneath washed away causing the asphalt to crumble. In any event, potholes are a seldom seen phenomenon here in Southern California where rain is rare and frozen water doesn't exist except at the ski resorts. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer.

Comment

It's always nice to think that where you live is a safe little haven. But thinking it and knowing it are two different things. The town where I live, Thousand Oaks, CA, IS the safest city in America according to FBI statistics which gives my family the satisfaction of knowing they are in a great spot. It's also nice to know that neighboring cities such as Simi Valley and Santa Clarita also share the same low crime statistics. Outside of Southern California many believe the image portrayed on the news or on TV shows like "Extra" and "Hollywood Tonight." However, the reality is that 6 of the top 8 safest cities in America are suburbs of Los Angeles. Living here you realize what a warped perception is portrayed by the media. And, the sad part is, most of the world believes what they see and hear in the media. Reference: http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,6850204.story chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer.

Comment

Chuck drive through El Segundo or Manhattan Beach or Hermosa Beach (not the main roads) you'll find a lot of pot holes.

Comment

Working...
                          X