X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guest.Visitor
    Guest replied
    Internet Job Postings -- Read 'em for a good Laugh

Here's my rebuttal from the employer standpoint. cdr500 said: "Or the ones from agencies advertised as being located in suburb X rather than the actual location 10 miles way in suburb y. Or 'Chicago Area'. 10 miles in the wrong direction during rush hour can turn an acceptable commute into an ordeal." If you know anything of the L.A. area then you'll appreciate that I have a programmer on my staff that commutes from Riverside to Chatsworth every single day. That's 84 miles each way through downtown L.A. on the busiest freeways in the world. He never says a word about the commute and ALWAYS is on time and enthusiastic about his job. Apparently it's not an ordeal for him, the job is important and he does what is necessary. He's been working for me for over 5 years. I have other programmers that commute over 30 miles and they never whine or complain about it. It's just a part of life if you want a high paying programming position. I've done it myself. Commuted 75 miles each way on the 2 busiest freeways in the world. Sometimes life is tough, get used to it. cdr500 said: "can not learn a simple new skill in a few minutes and thus should not be considered for a job." If you can learn new skills in a few minutes then you're a supergod and I probably couldn't afford or satiate your desire to learn new things. Worthwhile new skills, IMO, take a long time to learn and master. cdr500: "Or the fussy, brittle programmers who just go over the top if you approach a problem differently than they do." Or the fussy, brittle programmer that can't accept that their new approach may be unusable in the current scenario without a lot of rework of existing systems. Change takes time and, in my experience many people fall into one of two camps. Those who oppose change and those who want change right now. It takes a special personality that realizes that change is good but it must be for the right reasons and well planned and implemented. And that change takes time. cdr500 said: "Or the ones that seem to consider Visio skills (a few hours at most to master, assuming you are learning the entire program)" I use Visio. While a user can learn the basics in a few hours, Visio is a COMPLICATED program and allows very complicated linking between objects within Windows. It's actually akin to a programming language and if a shop has included the deep features of Visio into their shop then it could, conceivably take months or longer to understand the intracacies. I think your post has a constant theme: bitterness. Maybe that wasn't your intent but it came through loud and clear. Either that or you're looking at way too many Monster ads. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer.

Leave a comment:

• Guest.Visitor
    Guest started a topic Internet Job Postings -- Read 'em for a good Laugh

Internet Job Postings -- Read 'em for a good Laugh

I needed a good laugh to start the day. I interviewed an operator in 1992 who said this: "Oh yeah, I know the AS400, got ten years experience on this machine." Now, before anyone thinks she understood the migration path (s/34-s36-AS400) OR (s/38-AS/400), she could not explain to me what the purpose of QSYSOPR was nor what is was!!!!! 10 years, sure. Maybe these posts are written for all the programmers who have PhD's from The Indian Technology Institute of Calcutta.
Working...
X