Internet Job Postings -- Read 'em for a good Laugh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been an FTE for two years but until then, I had been an independent for about 10. I had searches set up on the Job Boards which would email me potential positions. I never shut them off, so I still receive AS400 and JD Edwards positions from Monster on a weekly basis. Today, I read one that was so poorly written, I actually "Applied" for the job. But instead of copy and pasting my resume into the Text Box that's intended for that purpose, I complained about the quality of the Post. I pointed out that by merely pasting the text of the Posting into a Word Processor, multiple spelling and grammatical errors were found. I also added that the rhetoric about going the extra mile wasn't very credible in that context..... Sure hope I'm not desperate for a job anytime soon. But this isn’t an isolated case. Many postings start out with a vision statement that always mentions Quality, Diversity and Compliance. That’s usually followed by a long list of Competencies. In our case this often includes things like the ability to sit through half day meetings without using the Rest rooms and sometimes pencil sharpening skills. Then you end up with a Job Description that goes something like this: Sr. P/A with 10+ years experience. Must have excellent orel and written communications. Looking for self-starter who can finish. Proficiency in RPG IV required, RPG 5 a big plus. So much for Quality. And if they’re going to Comply with anything, why not start with Webster’s. Bad spelling, poor grammar, incomplete sentences and desired skills that don’t even exist (at least not yet). So does corporate America just not care? Do they think that the average IT professional looking for a job is that desperate? Or has the quality of education sunk so low, that this is the best we can expect? It would be funny, if it wasn’t for the fact that the person who wrote this ad could be the gatekeeper who decides whether or not we’re qualified enough to be presented to the hiring manager. I can just picture the phone interview with HR: "Sorry Mike, we’d like to bring you in for an interview but all the other applicants have at least 2 years experience with RPG 5." "I understand sir, but could I just point out that there is NO @#!$& RPG " click.... "Hello??" Time to start boning up on Visual Basic VIII I guess.

Comment

I don't know, the ones I'm working with seem to have their senses of humor intact (must be a glitch). They were recently contemplating asking the driver of a certain yellow delivery truck (our competitor) for ice cream and treats at lunch time (implying that it looks like an ice cream truck!).

Comment

Working...
      X