Internet Job Postings -- Read 'em for a good Laugh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gentlemen (and Ladies)... I started this thread in the hope of evoking a little lite hearted banter about the Corporate Scalywags who post those inane Internet Job Positions. But unfortunately, it has quickly degenerated into another Boooorrrrriiing (Zzzzzzzzzzzzz) Technical discussion. This is afterall, the Shooting the Breeze forum. So if you insist on jabbering about SERIOUS issues, start your own thread. Now..... Get Outta Here !! (Before I call the Internet Police) Mike

Comment

Nothing, really, Dave. RPG-CGI has numerous problems that make it unlikely to ever be as easy to implement and deploy as a properly architected JSP Model II application. Any shop that decides to go that way is unlikely to use my product anyway. On the other hand, a shop that is looking to deploy industry standard web applications will probably want to use my product rather than RPG-CGI. For example, you can't readily use CGI within a portal. ALl that being said, PSC/400 was designed to be UI independent, so I'm not too worried about what interface you choose to use. If you're doing it properly, you're not going to hack the CGI stuff into your existing applications, and if that's the case, you can still use PSC/400 to separate your layers. Joe

Comment

Joe said: "RPG and native DB2 access is the fastest, most powerful development environment that exists." I have two comments on that: 1. Hardware is cheap. If it runs a little slow but the user interface makes user more productive then buy more hardware. 2. We program in Websmart which compiles into RPGLE modules. Joe also said: "This malarky that RPG is old technology and DB2 is dead is just a bunch of marketing fluff meant to sell hardware and consulting, and I pity the folks who are buying it." I don't claim it's dead but it's just not for us. I find our programmers are much more productive and have more fun creating web based apps that the users, by the way, find much more useful than a green screen RPG app. This isn't a religious war, just different tools on the same platform. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer.

Comment

cdr5000 said: "However, the kind of programs you and I will most likely work on in a few years will be departmentally based and require tools that are so easy to use that the programmer concentrates more on the business problem than the code." Bingo! That's the spirit. I pay my senior P/As to solve problems, not pound out code. We are in 100% agreement here. cdr5000 said: "Green screen is too low tech for a lot of common applications now. Java now seems so complicated to me that you spend far more effort on the code and how all the pieces fit together than the business problem." Exactly my thoughts. Again we are in agreement. The tool of choice at our shop is WebSmart, but there are now several others that do just as well without involving the mire of Java or Websphere. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer.

Comment

Whew, you are right. But, after all, aren't we just a bunch of boring nerds? chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. "mikejsavino" wrote in message news:6b164678.25@WebX.WawyahGHajS... > Gentlemen (and Ladies)... I started this thread in the hope of evoking a little lite hearted banter about the Corporate Scalywags who post those inane Internet Job Positions. But unfortunately, it has quickly degenerated into another Boooorrrrriiing (Zzzzzzzzzzzzz) Technical discussion. > > This is afterall, the Shooting the Breeze forum. So if you insist on jabbering about SERIOUS issues, start your own thread. > > Now..... Get Outta Here !! (Before I call the Internet Police) > > Mike

Comment

Chuck said: I find our programmers are much more productive and have more fun creating web based apps that the users, by the way, find much more useful than a green screen RPG app. Uh. RPG does not mean green screen, Chuck. UI independent servers mean you can use whatever UI you want, from a green screen to a browser to a thick client. But if you only need a web interface and WebSmart's UI is enough for you, then by all means stick with it. Joe

Comment

For years and years now I have watched these same 'Shooting the Breeze' threads, (with alot of the usual suspects), more times than not morph a topic from one thing to another while slowly but surely pushing the envelope and ever so gently crossing that delicate line that turns into a border line all out flame session. Of course the all out flame sessions that get down and dirty usually get deleted by the webmaster fairly quickly and are generally rare to see. It is what gets implied without crossing the so called line that makes it all so interesting, all rapped nicely into a midrange oriented techno speak. For me, this is one of the main attractions. On a slow night, I'll even bypass old Steinfeld re-runs or playing chess against Chessmaster 9000 to see what's up in the Breeze arena. Keep up the good work everyone - this is indeed a nerd's entertainment at it's best! BTW - my definition of a NERD is not a bad thing but a good thing, (although I know it can be different things to different people). Just one definition of NERD - an enthusiast whose interest is regarded as too technical or scientific and who seems obsessively wrapped up in it. Hmmm... Sound familiar anyone?

Comment

Holy cow. I was looking for a post from Joe to reply to to congratulate him and saw Internet Job Postings -- Read 'em for a good Laugh and thought, I need a good laugh. Well, I missed the funny stuff I guess. I'll have to go to top of thread to find it I guess. Joe, stumbled on you and your Eclipse Step by Step book in Google and clicked through to Amazon and was absolutely amazed to see it at 69,000. That is one hell of an achievement, plus great reviews. Congratulations! Ralph

Comment

You having been an independent for 10 years, I'm a little surprised you haven't caught on to what happened. First, though, what in the world are you doing on Monster? What did you expect to find there? I'll get to what you did find there, but Dice is the only one that's any good and I check Computerjobs to see if I am missing something major. Dice's new format for their daily search updates are very good. Now, did that get me a job? No, but I think maybe current talks will come through. Number of job postings has increased dramatically to where even I the pessimist have hope again. Of course I lost my car and have to sell my house to go wherever the job will be so I'm not exactly Pollyannish yet. I don't know what happened to my old jobs site I wrote the server for back in 2000, Jobs/400, but I could have used it too. But even on Dice and more so on Computerjobs there are just hilariously bad ads. I swear to god half the 7-11 clerks and a good portion of cab drivers have moved in with those families that run motels, you know, the ones that come out of a room when you ding the bell in the middle of the night, and they've all become Technical Recruiters, send me a copy of your resume. The major thing holding me back from getting giddy about job postings is trying to factor in how many 7-11 clerks just became Technical Recruiters and suddenly one rumored job has been amplified into 14,797 jobs available, none spelled correctly. It's pretty scary. I may end up a 7-11 clerk and find my own way into Technical Recruiting, specializing in RGP. Ralph

Comment

Wevified said: "BTW - my definition of a NERD is not a bad thing but a good thing, (although I know it can be different things to different people)." Well, to tell the truth, secretly I'm proud to be a nerd. But I'd never let my kids know! ;-) chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer.

Comment

You are right about Dice. It has better leads than Monster. I get real jobs sent to me from Dice and never much of anything from Monster. The best laugh here is the route this post took to the point where the original writer kicked you all out. Lighten up geez! Recruiters--some are good, a lot aren't. I had a guy recently call me for a temporary Cobol position and couldn't understand 1)Why I was not interested since my resume says I am an "RGP" programmer and 2)Why I didn't want contract work when I am looking for permanent. On top of that he kept trying to find out "what the problem was in my current position" when I repeatedly told him that the only "problem" was that it was a contract position. When I finally explained that I just went through closing on a new home and was looking for job security (if there is such a thing), he got it I think. (Don't anyone go off on the job security issue now--I don't want to read a zillion posts about that too)

Comment

Webified, We monitor the forums quite closely and, to be honest, it is a very rare event when you or any of the professionals on these forum require "parental intercept"! In fact, it's been more than a year (!) since we've felt compelled to intervene in a discussion. (Hard though that may be to believe...) This is a reflection of the professionism that you and others who use this forum project, and for that we applaud you all. (This is not to say that we are looking for more police work to do. Keep up the excellent discussions, notify us if you see abuse, and let us know if you witness interesting events, useful tips, or unusual happenings. We want your forum experiences to reflect the best information from the best minds. The more useful they become, the more useful we are to everyone. Tom Stockwell Editor in Chief

Comment

EDIguru said: "(Don't anyone go off on the job security issue now--I don't want to read a zillion posts about that too)" Maybe you can have a permanent position as "Forum Policeman"? chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer.

Comment

I was laughing my head off--not complaining. Geez--you can't get a laugh out of this thread at all apparently. I'm outta here. Go shoot someone else.

Comment

Thought your post was amusing and enlightening. Don't give up on all of us!

Comment

Working...
                                X