Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Here's one for all you programmers out there, budding or seasoned.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's one for all you programmers out there, budding or seasoned.

If the tag is , and a new tag, is added, and you don't code for the new tag, it will just get bypassed. If the tag and data is christian, and now you get new religion, and all you do is parse the value out and insert into a database field, then you should not have any problems, unless of course you are validating the value. However, it sounds like you have a tag for 'value', and it is not really referring to a religion, unless you did not describe the problem clearly. It sounds as if the tag is merely a placeholder for the name, instead of , you have .

I am on your clients side. Who in their professional mind would use the terms "Christian Name" and "Surname" ? Surname assumes the family name is the last name and this is not the case in all cultures/countries. I beleive an IT professional, and current system, should use the terms "Given Name" and "Family Name".

Comment

These are old terms for first and last names. One's "christian name" is their first name; "surname" is their last name. So the XML means Title, FirstName, LastName. Another term for first name is "given name". Talk about a legacy app -- I didn't know those terms were in common use anywhere during the last 50 years of the computer era. Is this app maybe British, or for the 700 Club?

Comment

So let's see, we have "title"; "christian"; "surname"? Maybe the client thinking the app was asking for a religion was a bit far-fetched, but I agree "christian" is a bit far-fetched too. Sounds like a term I may have come across while researching some family history from 1800! Any of the above would work: FirstName, GivenName, etc., but Christian..........?

Comment

"Surname" and "Christian Name" are considered generic in the U.K. and perhaps in other European countries. "Last Name" and "First Name" is the more common nomenclature on this side of the pond. Dave

Comment

It's not a problem that requires a resolution. It was more to do with the particular person, with whom we'd already had countless "requirements gathering" meetings, getting the wrong end of the stick. We're both in the UK, and had already agreed the file layout to transfer records between our business's. It was only recently we changed the trasnmitted file to be an XML one. This particluar client's IT bloke should have known what we were referring too, especially as we don't even capture a customer's religion. And, essentially, the tag name is irrelevent because it's the contained data that we both require. I just found it funny. Guess it's only for British programmers, budding or seasoned, with a British sense of humour.

Comment

I've just received a query from one of our customers. They had a problem with the default file layout for the customer name and address record. The xml tag name was "christian", and was between "title" and "surname". They wanted to know what happened if they had a different religion? What hope do we have?

Comment

They are the kind of people that you don't want to put instructions on an application to "hit any key to continue". They will call you and say "But we don't have an "any" key on our keyboard!"

Comment

Working...
                X