Real heros

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Real heros

Christopher Reeve's wife established a foundation a few years ago. The principle purpose is to fight for a cure for a variety of paralyzing conditions. The foundation has received grants, but relies primarily on the good faith donations of the general public. One may remove any kryptonite that stands between the hand and the wallet. It won't hurt you. Dave

Real heros

http://www.paralysis.org/ http://www.christopherreeve.org/index.cfm Joe P.S. If you're looking for good charities, my personal favorite is the St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. http://www.stjude.org/

Comment

Real heros

We live in a fallen world.

Comment

Real heros

Somewhat ironic, but he played Superman and then he actually became Superman. This was a class act to the end. Hopefully in death he can bring about what he could not in life, the means for others to walk again through stem cell research. (Another class act and national treasure we lost this year--Ray Charles (somewhat overlooked with the passing of former President Reagan). I will never forget his rendition of America the Beautiful after 9/11.)

Comment

Real heros

Why is it that these individuals are so few and far between?? Is it fear of losing credibility if announcing that a celebrity is afflicted?? Celebrities (actors, sports stars, etc.) that step up and have the capability to draw attention and support issues, but rarely do. Not only does an individuals status play a role in the scope of the reach, but as well have the means to contribute monetary support. The hopes of some disease lies in the support of the celebrity: HIV -- this became mainstream after Magic Johnson announced he was afflicted. It took major courage to announce this. Parkinson's -- Michael J. Fox crusades to find a cure. Any others??

Comment

Real heros

Yarrington said: "Celebrities (actors, sports stars, etc.) that step up and have the capability to draw attention and support issues, but rarely do." Huh? Haven't you seen them mugging with politicians? Clinton was especially good at drawing out the celebrities. Unfortunately, that's about all he was good at. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer.

Comment

Real heros

Sometimes the line between Hollywood and reality blurs, and we the unwashed masses lavish more adoration on Tinseltown celebrities than we probably should. This in turn gives rise to the Hollywood cult of personality where people gain a measure of importance greater than any real contribution they've made to society (for me, Michael Moore comes immediately to mind; your views of course may vary). Sometimes, though, an actor or an athlete transcends all of that, and becomes a true hero. One of the first celebrities I remember doing just that was Arthur Ashe, as he took his fight with AIDS public, with determination and pure grace. An intensely private man, Ashe nonetheless decided that educating the public was more important than his own personal comfort, even as he was dying. When Mr. Ashe passed away in 1993, the world lost a hero, and became a slightly dimmer place. Last night another hero died. On film he was the Man of Steel, but I will always remember him in his campaign to cure the paralysis that struck him down in his prime. His unflinching resolve in the face of a seemingly catastrophic loss has amazed and humbled me. From superhero to life in a wheelchair; I can't even imagine the adjustments required. Seemingly so simple an injury, yet so devastating - we can replace lungs and repair hearts, but we can't fix a broken nerve. And yet, right until his death he never asked for a moment's pity. He instead continued to fight with every fiber of his being, even as most of them stubbornly refused to heed his call. Christopher Reeve passed on before his fight was finished, but his legacy will continue and hopefully his battle will not be in vain. And while the memory of his courage and his grace can serve as an inspiration to all of us, he will be missed. Another hero leaves the stage, and the lights go a little dimmer.

Comment

Real heros

Chuck Ackerman said "Haven't you seen them mugging with politicians?" Hmmm, that seems more like self-promotion than getting involved in an issue. To me, anyway, that doesn't count. -dan

Comment

Working...
                X