Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An application equivalent to Compaq Insight Manager that will monitor iSeries systems.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An application equivalent to Compaq Insight Manager that will monitor iSeries systems.

From the sounds of it, you probably want iSeries Navigator. IBM has positioned this product to do most of what you want and has spent a lot of time and effort on it. The good news is that it is included in your iSeries OS licenses. No extra cost! Unfortunately, I can't comment extensively on how well it will meet your needs, particularly in regards to a sort of summary or dashboard type of display, with several systems showing health indicators simultaneously. We have made only minimal use of Navigator and do not require it for this purpose.

An application equivalent to Compaq Insight Manager that will monitor iSeries systems.

Hey all, At my last job, I worked in a hybrid shop that had four 400's, multiple Novell and NT/2000 servers with some UNIX/Linux here and there (even a few good and faithful DOS machines that still did their little part!). My function was doing the network/operations monitoring type thing. When I would arrive to work, we had a PC running WIN 2000 that had the Compaq Insight Manager' running on it. This was cool because with one quick look on one simple screen, I could get an instant snapshot of how all the systems were doing (along with pages from the systems and apps that would page when things were getting weird). Next, I would do the actual physical walk through of all of the systems and the Compaq Insight Manager would be dead on target, all except for the 400's. The guy who set it up was mostly a Novell, then NT/2000, then Unix/Linux guy (in that order) with the 400 being more of a nuance to him than an asset. He never really did get the 400's dialed into the Compaq Insight Manager like all of the other systems. I am not sure if this was because it was not worth the effort for him to set up, if he did not have the time, if he did not have the interest or what have you. Which brings me to the big question. Is there a product/application out there equivalent to Compaq Insight Manager that will monitor iSeries systems. I know that there is but I am interested in available options and shops that are using something like this and how is it working for you? Thanks in advance. Robert.

Comment

MC Mag Online is publishing an article next Monday (January 10) about IBM's Virtualization Engine. It may be just the thing you're looking for, so be sure to have a look. BTW, the article is written by IBM's Greg Hintermeister, who is on the iSeries Navigator team. Victoria Mack, Editor

Comment

Working...
      X