Buy versus Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buy versus Build

As always, the answer is: "that depends." Certainly, if you're in need of a new word processor I'd suggest you buy. If you need to generate point of sale signs or labels you might be better to build. If the software exists to solve your requirements and it's tried and true then I'd say by. For example, it makes no sense to build your own G/L system, that's a commodity. Even for some very custom things it makes sense to buy then modify. I guess you'd have to supply more info before anyone can really comment. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. "crow001" wrote in message news:6b24f968.-1@WebX.WawyahGHajS... > We are reaching a point in the next few months where we will be making > decisions regarding the replacement of certain areas of our software. I > know from previous experience, the argument of Buying software versus > Building our own is about to happen. > > I would love to get some opinions and experiences regarding this epic > battle. And if you know of any articles and/or white papers on the subject > I would love to get hold of them also. > > Thanks in advance.

Buy versus Build

An AS/400 package with source is the best of both worlds, is it not? rd

Comment

Buy versus Build

We are reaching a point in the next few months where we will be making decisions regarding the replacement of certain areas of our software. I know from previous experience, the argument of Buying software versus Building our own is about to happen. I would love to get some opinions and experiences regarding this epic battle. And if you know of any articles and/or white papers on the subject I would love to get hold of them also. Thanks in advance.

Comment

Buy versus Build

The experience we have is Modify the source too much and you cannot do upgrades because of all the custom work that has been done. I have had good experience with software that makes API or program calls available for addons and custom programs. Also look for ways to plug in your own exit programs.

Comment

Working...
        X