Bizness in New Orleans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bizness in New Orleans

The first thought I would have is that business is not spelled with a 'z'.

Bizness in New Orleans

I really don't need your opinion, but you are free to post it, and since your actions or inactions may in some way impact my life in bizness or business, I will probably read it. Times like these call for thinkin' outside the box, cause they can truly be the best of times and the worst of times all rolled into one. So, all that crap being said, believe it or not, whether I spell everything or anything correctly, I might think twice about attacking someone who is coding something right now that might touch a bank account or mailbox near you. Seriously, and that is a tough commodity to come by, right now, down here. What are your thoughts? That's right, your Thoughts, Scott Cargill? Constructive thoughts are what I had in mind, and I don't think I attacked anyone in reaching out for them, cause' they just might turn out to be important for me or my family, or my biznezz, or if you listen, who knows, maybe even your business. I was and am looking for a business perspective on this issue, as I and many more like me have a lot of decisions to make that are a lot heavier right now than how to spell.

Comment

Bizness in New Orleans

Ctibodoe, cause' should be spelled 'cause. ;-)

Comment

Bizness in New Orleans

First of all, I wish you and all remaining in New Orleans the best of fortune. Rebuilding will bring opportunities, and I'm sure that in one form or another, the "Big Easy" will rise again. That being said, and the off-topic issue being raised, I would like to throw my two cents in. I personally find it much easier to understand posts with mixed case, rather than all lower case. Reading "u r" for "you are" is annoying to me. While it is correct that spelling is not the most important issue on the planet, a certain degree of universality and standard among those who wish to communicate their thoughts and ideas is necessary for the readers degree of understanding. In other words, to better get your point, or question across, spell it correctly. Dave

Comment

Bizness in New Orleans

I live in WI and we are not hearing much about the N.O. area. The last thing I saw was a report in USA Today about bars opening on Bourbon St. Many people have the impression that it's not safe to go there due to the toxicity of the flood water. I don't even know if the levees are fixed. I'd be willing to work for area companies but don't know if any are open or that they are in need of help. I'm independent and would like to make contacts there. We're all in this together and need help as much as we can. If I could work in the N.O. area, I'd feel like I'd be contributing to the area's recovery. The city, state, and the whole gulf coast region need to be marketing the area a place to go to. So far, I don't see any of that. Or, I'm not paying attention. I'll try harder to watch for information but I would expect the companies and political leaders to be aggressively marketing the area. Good luck to you and your neighbors. Tom.

Comment

Bizness in New Orleans

Thanks for the reply. Just what I was looking for, trying to gauge what the 'feel' is out there right now. This area couldn't attract new biz down here pre-K, post-K is going to be an even harder sell if the rest of the country doesn't get some of the good news about doing business down here and if a lot of things down here don't change. First, just as you of course know, there is more down here than just Bourbon St. The water is maybe safe as I have eaten local seafood caught since after the storm, and I ain't glowing yet. There definately could be some areas that have a little toxicity, but no yellow fever or typhoid that I have heard of. The levees are not all repaired, but the three flood seasons that are dangerous are not upon us, ice melts (from up river), hurricanes and May rains. I can't see the marketing that may be going on outside of this area, but all of you can. The marketing that I can do, I will do. Bringing new business here has to be done, some way, some how. There are a lot of people that want to stay here and live here intelligently, coexisting with the threat of flooding in an intelligent way, as this area has a lot of good in it, just like the area you live in has, where ever that might be. Help make that happen, with your thoughts, ideas, and actions in business.

Comment

Bizness in New Orleans

I never thought about snow melt causing you problems but I guess it has to go somewhere. The Mississippi is a large conduit for all flooding from the north and you are on the receiving end. I sure hope they get the levees fixed well enough by Spring. Tom.

Comment

Bizness in New Orleans

What I'm kinda hearing is that now we're getting down to the nitty gritty. Mortgage companies gave a 3 month moratoriam on payments and now they want their monthly payment on the pile of rubble that used to be your house. Some insurance companies are very slow in settling claims, and FEMA is a whole lotta bureacracy. Some people have little or no insurance. It seems if you're poor, you're screwed. Some neighborhoods have no power and piles of destroyed houses and no one is moving real quick on some of them. Now the government is more interested in seeing who can be blamed for levy failure instead of re-building the city. I've heard some politicians in DC say, why rebuild the parts of the city that are below sea level? From a logical point this makes sense, but not if it's your house and neighborhood that they're talking about. The government's got to get involved, cause insurance companies will lobby all they can to avoid the big hit they are going to take. Homeowner premiums all over the country will start rising to cover Gulf Coast and Florica Hurricanes. The country's initial response was pretty good, but now you are in the rebuilding stages, and that takes real money, real commitment, lots of hard work. I see a big change in NOLA's make up. Gentrification is one word that comes to mind, but it may not be the right one. Mostly because the poor people won't bother to go back, especially if they don't own a home. So who will live there? Who will go to Saint's games? Who will form a 'second line'? There's lots of great music in New Orleans, but a music scene involves a wide mix, lots of neighborhood bars with live music, weddings, parties, and lots of local stuff, not jus the Heritage Festival and Tipitina's. Who will patronize the local bars? Who will be getting married? It was the mix of cultures, people, economics, that made New Orleans what is was. I hope it comes back, but I don't think it will be the same. New Orleans is considered Party City by the rest of the country. I hope Mardi Gras can function in some way and bring a few people in, to show some semblance of normal life. But that message is not getting out. Oh, you can spell and abbreviate however you want. If I find it too annoying, I'll ignore your message. Email and electronic forums are tough places to inject nuances, feelings, personality. How you want to express yourself is your bizness. ---Dale

Comment

Bizness in New Orleans

You write "I really don't need your opinion", but you are asking us for it. If you don't need it, then why do you ask? My issue with you is the statment "I might think twice about attacking someone who is coding something right now that might touch a bank account or mailbox near you." Is this a threat? If it is, I'm not too scared. I'm sure any company that finds it's programmers are trying to mess with other people's paycheck and mail will promptly be fired, and with the mail there will be federal crimes committed. Judging by the way you write I would say your education level is not high enough to become a real programmer anyway.

Comment

Bizness in New Orleans

Sometimes the absurd deserves some back. Lighten up for the absurd and deal with real. Education can be a real plus, results get the bigger check. No one needs this forum, but it can sure help. I really do care what you think, because you might be the cog that turns the wheel. And that's all I have to say about that.

Comment

Bizness in New Orleans

If I may ask, what area of the country does your view come from?

Comment

Bizness in New Orleans

Guys, If two fine gentlemen in this forum went ballistic because of spelling issues, that's a heck of a problem... My two cents, Christmas is coming be nice to everyone. Cheers to ya all.

Comment

Bizness in New Orleans

It's not the spelling, it's the attitude. Sorry, just one of my pet peves are people that act unprofessional.

Comment

Bizness in New Orleans

Scott, You are so unprofessional! I can't believe someone so perfect would make a spelling error. Peves needs to be spelled "peeves" Tsk, tsk. To the woodshed with you, young man! Context is everything. We are in an area called "shooting the breeze". It seems to me that that implies a bit more of a relaxed atmosphere. It's like we are in my backyard sipping some cold ones on a hot August night just shooting' the breeze. In that context, we would be much less formal. That's the context we need to have here. In other areas fo the site, we can be more formal and professional. I found the original post humorous. I don't know if the poster intended humor but that's how I took it. It brought a smile to my face. The question asked in the post is serious and requires serious thought if one is going to answer him. Now, back to serious bidness. (to be said in your deepest southern Looziana drawwwwl...) Ah went on the Nawlins website and Hizzoner, Ray Nagan is puttin' out' loads of info. about the 'covery efforts but nothin' about doin' bizness there. I 'spect that they're not ready, yet. Tom.

Comment

Bizness in New Orleans

A good announcement today. Bush announced a commitment of $3B to rebuild the levees, and Nagin described some sections to be 17 feet high and fortified to be able to deal with future Katrinas. This I think was needed to make decisions on rebuilding. Great efforts from all in DC on this in the last few days to come to this. The bottom line, a lot of people got wiped out, and in my usual rosy outlook, it's just the start of many more to come for all of us when happy talk meets reality. rd

Comment

Working...
                              X