Used memory for older laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Used memory for older laptop

I don't know how cheap you're looking, or whether this memory is 100% compatible, but it's $100 for half a gig, or $30 for 128MB: http://www.memoryx.net/pcsome1.html Joe

Michael Soucy wrote: > Does anyone out there know if you can buy used memory at a reasonable > price? If so, can someone recommend a company? I just bought a > certified used IBM Thinkpad, and I want to upgrade the memory. IBM > appears not to sell used memory for laptops (I wish they did). My > Thinkpad requires 144 pin, PC133 memory, which is kind of expensive > to buy new. I always recommend Crucial.com as the place for new memory. Bill

Comment

Joe, Is this a company you have dealt with in the past?

Comment

No, sorry, Michael. I was just pointing out that some pretty inexpensive memory is out there. If you're worried about it, maybe try the 128MB for $29? Joe

Comment

Michael, I can't speak for Joe, but I've used Crucial many times. They are THE leader in selling memory. In fact, just last week I bought 1 gig of additional memory for my home PC from them. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. "Michael Soucy" wrote in message news:6b24617e.2@WebX.WawyahGHajS... > Joe, Is this a company you have dealt with in the past?

Comment

Chuck and Bill are right; Crucial is really a major player in the replacement memory market. And since their prices are roughly equivalent to the guys I quoted, I'd suggest going with Crucial as well. Personally, I've never dealt with memoryx.net and know nothing about them, so it's definitely caveat emptor at that point. Joe

Comment

I don't know how geographically close you are to a Fry's Electronics store (although I guess we're ALL close the their outpost.com site), but I've always found their weekly specials to be better than anyone else around. I just put a Gig of RAM into my home PC for $100 a couple weeks ago. In fact, when I did that, I also upgraded my processor to a 3.2 Ghz P4 at the same time. Is it just me, or do you all tend to do upgrades in "batches"? :-) Dave

Comment

Does anyone out there know if you can buy used memory at a reasonable price? If so, can someone recommend a company? I just bought a certified used IBM Thinkpad, and I want to upgrade the memory. IBM appears not to sell used memory for laptops (I wish they did). My Thinkpad requires 144 pin, PC133 memory, which is kind of expensive to buy new.

Comment

I have gotten memory from http://www.buymemory.com, aka McDonald & Associates, and have been satisfied. Cannot say it is the cheapest, but it is probably one of the more comprehensive sources for older systems. I would verify that the memory has a money back guarantee to work on your make, model AND sub-model of your PC. We once got memory for a Dell server that met all the obvious requirements, except working; Dell memory worked OK. We got our money back, so it was not too expensive a lesson.

Comment

Working...
                  X