i5 advertising - broken promises

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i5 advertising - broken promises

Tom, This is not directed at you in any way, but directed to IBM. Just my 2 cents worth about the i5. Reject pile! I have never seen an iSeries with so many bugs. Now it is countless hours day and night trying to keep up with the bugs and fixes for a piece of worthless hardware. Way to go IBM on this one! Great HMC and FSP to boot. Not. Scott

Well I can't say that I've encountered many bugs on the i5. But in my case we are not using HMC or any partions, maybe that plays a part. I really am a fan of the box/OS. But we've been promised that at long last IBM was going to promote the box... big time. Everyone rejoiced. Now here it is 7 or more months later in the middle of July and nothing at all is happening. In fact, since the sale of the PC division IBM overall has an even lower profile than before, nevermind the iSeries profile. It's invisible. It's time to ask, "Where is it???!!! Where is all this promised advertising?" IBM has got to create awareness & demand. Advertising is the way to do this. Everyone thought IBM had seen the light but it's turning out to be an empty promise. I'd like to be optimistic but these Oracle ads - ads that are aimed directly at IBM, that show IBM hardware, and that go unchallenged by IBM - are really making it tought to be optimistic. Tom D.

Comment

Scott, Can you be more specific on the bugs? chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. "Scott Walker" wrote in message news:6b26ad3a.0@WebX.WawyahGHajS... > Tom, > > This is not directed at you in any way, but directed to IBM. > Just my 2 cents worth about the i5. Reject pile! I have never seen an > iSeries with so many bugs. Now it is countless hours day and night trying > to keep up with the bugs and fixes for a piece of worthless hardware. Way > to go IBM on this one! Great HMC and FSP to boot. Not. > > Scott

Comment

Not only did IBM break their promise to advertise and support the platform, they are actively working to subvert vendors away from the AS/400 / iSeries / i5 core benefits and force them into Websphere and Linux. Websphere by its very definition means doing things in a generic non-OS/400 fashion. My company is a member of the IBM partners in development program. They contacted me since IBM supposedly turned over a new leaf, and wanted to pitch what they could do for my firm. After they found out we had no intention of touching Websphere the conversation was pretty much over. Their contract language for joining this new extended version of developers partnering program includes proactive statements on the developers part to include or add Websphere support (or other some other IBM products)to the developer's products. They invited me to a conference call and then gave me the wrong conference number which routed me to a conference call about tactics to get vendors to join. That only solidified my view of what IBM is trying to do. I sent them on their way, but other vendors may be tempted to give in and screw their customers for the profit potential. The bottom line is, all of IBM's roads lead you away from what everyone likes about this machine. Shane Poad

Comment

Chuck, We have experienced problems with the HMC and the FSP. The FSP lost contact with the HMC and caused us to need to power down/up the entire system. Now after we updated the firmware on the FSP we are having power supply errors. I have spoken to other 595 users who have had very much worse problems to the tune of all partitions locking up continuously. I cannot believe these type of issues exist with this system but apparently they do. I am not ususally someone who goes out and gets on the latest hardware and OS either so maybe this is normal to weed out the bugs on the new stuff. Take this for what it is worth, maybe the percentage of customers having problems on the new 595 are relatively small (I have no idea). I thought moving to the HMC and 595 was a good thing until experiencing problems. If I were to do this again I would wait another year for the bugs to be fixed. Just my opinions here. Scott

Comment

One extra thing that bit me. I was going to build a "backup" HMC so that I would have an extra one running just in case I lost the primary HMC. I found out I have to order the HMC directly as an HMC and cannot just grab another PC and load the proprietary software on it. So if you want a second HMC go ahead and order two the first time. Scott

Comment

Scott, There aren't many 595 customers so your issues may be unique. However, introducing a PC into the mix was bound to lower the quality of the i5. I just can't imagine a machine that costs as much as the 595 is dependent upon a PC to make it run. Why couldn't IBM create a scaled down iSeries to replace the HMC? Certainly they could have created one for under $10k. What braniac made this stupid decision anyway? chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. "Scott Walker" wrote in message news:6b26ad3a.4@WebX.WawyahGHajS... > Chuck, > > We have experienced problems with the HMC and the FSP. The FSP lost > contact with the HMC and caused us to need to power down/up the entire > system. Now after we updated the firmware on the FSP we are having power > supply errors. I have spoken to other 595 users who have had very much > worse problems to the tune of all partitions locking up continuously. I > cannot believe these type of issues exist with this system but apparently > they do. I am not ususally someone who goes out and gets on the latest > hardware and OS either so maybe this is normal to weed out the bugs on the > new stuff. Take this for what it is worth, maybe the percentage of > customers having problems on the new 595 are relatively small (I have no > idea). I thought moving to the HMC and 595 was a good thing until > experiencing problems. If I were to do this again I would wait another > year for the bugs to be fixed. Just my opinions here. > > Scott

Comment

Chuck Ackerman asked: What braniac made this stupid decision anyway? The scuttlebutt that I hear is that it was a "pseries" person. I cannot confirm this. Dave

Comment

I'm running a 520 with an HMC. I haven't had any problems with it. We've had the box up and running since August of last year.

Comment

Lonnie, That is great! You are the first person I have heard say anything good about the i5 and HMC. Scott

Comment

For some time now IBM has been promising increased advertising for iSeries. I have to say I haven't seen any. Not in print in any of the industry mags, nor on TV. Well I did see an ad on TV... way back in December! So what gives? Are we - am I - being suckered? Consider: MS is the dominant player in servers & yet they advertise incessantly. They're on top yet they advertise. I see their ads on TV. I see them throughout various magazines... general ones like Information Week as well as tech ones like XML & WebServices, Dr. Dobbs, Sfw Development, JavaPro, and on and on. And not just a one pager in the middle, but inside front cover & facing page. And did I mention heavy TV? Then there's Intel. Intel doesn't have to advertise because they get everyone else to do it for them. Even IBM (when they sold PCs). Who doesn't recognize "Intel Inside"? I'll bet you even heard the jingle music in your head. These are examples of effective advertising. Where is IBM? They used to run xSeries ads (with the Intel branding). But no more. IBM is invisible. Now Oracle is running ads that are pointed right at IBM. Still the giant slumbers. I'm sure you've seen it: "Now there's the Oracle Grid. A group of low-cost servers connected by Oracle software. The Oracle Grid runs applications faster than the fastest mainframe. And if a server fails, the mainframe stops while the Oracle Grid just keeps running. You can adopt Oracle Grid technologies with minimal investment, zero disruption, and fast ROI" (if you've somehow managed to miss the ad go here: http://www.oracle.com/technologies/grid/index.html) This offers a PRIME opportunity for IBM to launch a counter offensive. In fact, this ad nees to be answered. But nothing will happen. I hate to say it but face facts, only a sucker would stick with this platform. Yes it's superior in many ways. Yet how can anyone tarket software for a platform with such a troubled market? Enough of the happy talk and assurances. To create a healthy market IBM must build awareness of the i5. It doesn't take more than a few brain cells to figure out that advertising - sustained advertising - is how to do this. It must be done NOW. I don't know what the hell these people are waiting for. It looks to me like a broken promise. Tom D. (opinions my own, nothing to do with those of my employer)

Comment

Which edition (Enterprise, Standard, Value, etc.) are you running? Dave

Comment

Working...
                        X