Gas prices?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas prices?

In Germany the price for one gallon (3.78 litre) of gas is about $5.90. And it seems we have to live with this.

Gas prices?

EDIguru, Average price here in SoCal is currently $2.62. While it presents an economic issue what exactly do you expect the federal government to do about it? Do you expect the government to freeze the price of gas or oil? If so, the supply line will shrink and we'll end up with gas lines like we had in the '70s. We live in a free market, supply and demand economy and the current demand for gasoline hasn't shrunk at all, even with the higher costs. Once the cost gets high enough the demand will shrink and the price of gas/oil will level off and possibly readjust downward. Believe me it has a direct impact on my wallet just at the pump as my family puts about 70,000 miles per year (total) on our cars, none of which are high mileage cars. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. "EDIguru" wrote in message news:6b243460.-1@WebX.WawyahGHajS... > Any thoughts on gas prices out there? It is around $2.20 a gallon in > Western Pa. It seems all I hear on the news is how the prices are going > up, but not anything about George Bush being concerned. I wonder how high > we are going before some of the idiots in Washington realize we have a > major economic problem. I work for a very large, major logisitics company > that just cut quite a few contract programming positions for the last > quarter of the fiscal year which is directly related to the spiraling cost > of fuel.

Comment

Gas prices?

I did not vote George Bush, but early in his administration, he did something for which I believe he deserves credit: This was to promote the use of Hydrogen and Hydrogen fuel cells. The technology is now. Oil companies for the most part will be refining and creating the Hydrogen fuel cells, there should be no objections there to the use of this fuel. Most of the major auto manufacturers have already developed Hydrogen based power plants or have developed conversions of existing engines to use Hydrogen. The only thing that is needed for this to take place is a delivery infrastructure. I understand that Shell is working on this as I write. IMO Hybrid vehicles are just an interim step. IMO Hydrogen will not be cheap at the pump, but the long term benefits are innumerable. Eventually as Hydrogen vehicles become pervasive, and as the infrastructure grows, and competition increases, the price will drop. Dave

Comment

Gas prices?

David, My understanding is that hydrogen cars won't be affordable for another 15 years... Chris

Comment

Gas prices?

Any thoughts on gas prices out there? It is around $2.20 a gallon in Western Pa. It seems all I hear on the news is how the prices are going up, but not anything about George Bush being concerned. I wonder how high we are going before some of the idiots in Washington realize we have a major economic problem. I work for a very large, major logisitics company that just cut quite a few contract programming positions for the last quarter of the fiscal year which is directly related to the spiraling cost of fuel.

Comment

Gas prices?

I have read the quote, but don't understand it. Most of the cost of a vehicle is tied up in the body, and the amenities. The powerplant comprises a surprisingly small sum. Since the transmission will remain unaffected, we may be talking as much as a 50% premium on the engine to start. Most engines cost in the neighborhood of $4,500, and I for one would be willing to pay an extra $2,250 for the added benefits. The hydrogen engines available today are modifications of existing power plants. There will certainly be some R & D expenses to cover creating an engine specifically designed to use hydrogen, but (as I understand it) the actual delivery of the combustible is actually reduced in cost (no carborators, fuel injectors (with mixing of air), etc.) Exhaust will also be a simpler task to engineer. Overall there will be less pollution, less maintenance cost, eventually the fuel cells will become cheaper, but the biggest benefit of all (IMO) would be to reduce dependency upon imported petroleum products. I think that vested interests may be using cost as a (false) scare tactic to turn the public away from what (I feel) should be inevitable. Dave

Comment

Working...
            X