• V.Mack
    replied
    InformationWeek article "IBM Attracts New Developers To ISeries"

Here's the direct link to the article. Victoria Mack, Editor, MC Press

Leave a comment:

• R.Daugherty
    replied

IBM marketing generating some publicity. Given that some of these mags were running stories about companies doing great things with software without mentioning it ran on an AS/400, maybe an article writer will plug two and two together and get 4, or 5, or a series. Who knows. http://www.informationweek.com rd

Leave a comment:

• Guest.Visitor
    Guest started a topic InformationWeek article "IBM Attracts New Developers To ISeries"

Ralph, I didn't get my copy of IW, yet, so I didn't see the article. It's good to see a mention of the iSeries in a trade pub. Most people who read IW are not iSeries developers or managers. This could help to put the iSeries into some minds. I hope so. A problem I see, though, is that the iSeries is being marketed as just another server. A lot of the business people I work with just look at it as an expensive server. (This is a myth, of course, but, I won't go into that now.) Some have it because it was forced on them by a company merge and the other company had one. Most of them are looking to get rid of their iSeries as soon as possible. I stopped doing iSeries work awhile back because the work just isn't there. I'm programming in .net and learning some java stuff. When the iSeries is a part of the server mix, it tends to be relegated to some niche software or file serving. There's a local company that has a unique manufacturing program written in-house. The company was bought by a larger firm and those folks are looking at replacing it. The problem is that the software is necessary for their manufacturing process. So, they keep the iSeries around just for that. The CFO is in a hurry to get off the maintenance contract. It expires in three months and they are not renewing it. I've been part of a team rewriting it to unix servers. This is common here in WI. Most of our larger companies are getting purchased or merging and the iSeries ends up being a door stop in favor of Intel or unix servers. Many of the Intel servers are IBM. This is the trend here. I don't know about other parts of the country. Regards, Tom.
Working...
X