practising RPGIV skills at home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• practising RPGIV skills at home

http://www.virtual400.com http://www.netshare400.com I'm sure there are others. Chris PS: Why in the world would an employer object to RPG IV? It's been around since 1995. Is your employer still using Intel 486/50 mhz CPU's? Windows 95?

Netshare!! That's what I used before! thank you Chris! As for my employer objecting, its more a case of not preparing to invest time and money into training staff when the job 'seems' to be getting done. A little short-termist perhaps... thanks again.

Comment

otisbinnie wrote: > Netshare!! That's what I used before! thank you Chris! As for my > employer objecting, its more a case of not preparing to invest time > and money into training staff when the job 'seems' to be getting > done. A little short-termist perhaps... thanks again. Why not try talking them into letting you convert a simple program into RPG4 using the CvtRPGSrc command? If you have the WDSC software on your PC you could then convert this converted program into Free-Format. -I- would really look at someone questionably that didn't find the free-format code the easiest RPG code to work with. Even if you had to stop at RPG4 it would be worth it. It's so similar to RPG3 that the learning curve would be quite low. In fact, to me, the biggest shock was seeing the D specs and relating how they worked as a substitute and a compliment to the I specs. Bill

Comment

Otis mate, what you should do is not ask for permission if you can write RPGIV or even free format, just do it! that's what I did! (for other people reading this post, Otis and myself have worked for the same employer) you get to learn on the job, and eventually there'll be enough of the code on the system to be able to make a convincing argument as to why it won't be so "scary" to start using it in a more overt fashion. best of luck! Matt

Comment

I agree with Matt. I used to be a consultant and I had one client that was afraid of RPG-IV until I showed up and started using it. He was perturbed at first, but it spurred them to move ahead and a year later they converted all of their code to ILE. You can be the catalyst in this Otis. Just do it.

Comment

Hi, Having spent a few years using RPGIII on the AS/400 , I'm keen to widen my skills and get to grips with RPGIV. My employer doesn't wish to go down this route and so very little new development is done in RPGIV. So I have resorted to doing home study. My question: there must be sites offering access to AS400s remotely for personal use. You may have to pay a subscription after a trial period but with it comes a couple of libraries, job queues etc. They tend to be slow but do serve a purpose. I've certainly used such sites in the past but for the life of me can't find them now!Help!!Where are they??

Comment

Comments taken on board! I have begun writing small processes in RPGIV. There is an inevitable lag time as i get used to new ways of doing things, but I'm sure in 6 months or so the difference should be negligible. Matt, I'm looking to become that 'beamer' rather than remain that 10yr old ford fiesta!!!! Cheers guys.

Comment

Working...
              X