Is IBM dumping support of RPG IV?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is IBM dumping support of RPG IV?

Not only is IBM not dumping support of RPG IV, IBM is not dumping support of RPG II ! Dave

Maybe the intent was "stop enhancing" instead of "stop supporting". I was looking something up the other day and saw a 2001 article from Bob that reviewed a new release, and in that he said that IBM had said they were not adding new opcodes but that they had added a few anyway. I used one of them, MONITOR, very useful. One thing we have always been able to count on is IBM Toronto. It's a shame these different versions can't meld together into one. Why couldn't even the fixed format be treated positionally as a C spec if there were no line spec and an identifiable opcode? The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is an indicator position, and in typical fashion that would be dealt with as 77:hi or 92:eq Maybe parse white space and shift the fields with the valid opcode centering it and then plant a C in front of it and feed it to fixed format. Then you have indented fixed format. Also allow { for a semicolon after a block open and a } for the matching ENDxx, == and != comparators, and Java Toolkit methods for opcodes. Give EXFMT a buffer API to retrieve the output in different formats such as HTML and XML for interface independence. And call it MI/5. rd

Comment

That's what I figured and I hate it when people just make unfounded statements and present it as the gospel truth. Any idea where I might find something from IBM to back this up?

Comment

I heard someone make a statement today to the effect that IBM intends to stop supporting RPGIV by 2007 and support only RPG Free. I have my own opinion on the subject of Free vs. IV which I won't even state at this time because I'm really not looking for opinions here, but rather I'd like to know if anyone else has heard anything to this effect or was this statement completely "off the wall". It seemed odd that the same person who made this statement also tried to tell me that Bob Cozzi is pushing for all RPG Free, which if you read any of Cozzi's articles on the subject here is quite the opposite of coding in 100% free format.

Comment

Just call support with a question about RPG II, RPG III, or regular RPG IV. If IBM answers, they still support it. Dave

Comment

Working...
          X