No announcement yet.

Are California laws driving you crazy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are California laws driving you crazy?

Its' not just the managers who hate these laws, the employees dislike them as well. When I have an employee complain to me about wanting to make up time or grumble because they have to take lunch at the five hour mark, I tell them to write their representative. But none of them ever do and they are probably the same people who re-elect these bozos to the state legislature. Don Burdette

Seems like it's time to move out of California. We used to have some employees based in Calfornia back in the 80's and calculating their state taxes was a real bitch! 5 tables for state tax alone. I've been 'sheltered' from lots of junk like that by working for a small company where we enjoy all the hour flexibility that California has taken away. No wonder outsourcing is increasing.

Comment

There are so many crazy infringements on our freedoms that unions have managed to slip into law, it's astounding. Good basic list, Chuck. I would add the one where you can't volunteer to do "public works projects", because the prevailing wage has to be paid. Insanity. Another example of asleep-at-the-wheelness is the "millionaire surcharge" passed by California voters recently. There's a special 1% tax "surcharge" if you make more than $1M, making the state income tax rate 10.3% for millionaires and 9.3% for just about everybody else. Rich people often aren't dumb, and if they can make $103,000 per year on top of each million by moving to a tax-free state, many of them will do it. Looking at it another way, it means they have to pay $103K per year just for the 'privelege' of living in California. No wonder Nevada and others are exploding. So CA gets 10.3% of nothing, rather than a smaller percentage of something, and we get a big dissincentive for the income and job producers to live here. Good thinking. Brian

Comment

Chuck Ackerman wrote: > As a manager in a company in California, the labor laws are driving > me, and many other managers, nuts. It's no wonder companies are > leaving California in droves. Name one company that has left due to the labor laws. They are much more likely to leave due to environmental restrictions than any other reason. > Most of the laws are regarding hourly employees and are driven by very > powerful labor unions. Why the unions are doing such things is > anyone's guess, but a lot of the laws are to the detriment of the > employee. This makes no sense, labor unions set the rules for their workplaces and are thus exempt from these state laws that you mention. Almost every one of the items you mention are on the books to keep laborers from being exploited by upper management. Many, many companies have tried making almost everyone some type of manager so that they can be required to work an ungodly number of hours yet only be paid for 40. Those companies are now required to pay large amounts of back overtime pay once they are challenged. A number of the examples you list can also be modified by the company based upon a secret vote by the employees. Bill

Comment

Huh? Secret vote? Show me. "Bill" wrote in message news8ACADEFE12D724229B10CBD00DE90D2@in.WebX.WawyahGHaj S... > Chuck Ackerman wrote: >> As a manager in a company in California, the labor laws are driving >> me, and many other managers, nuts. It's no wonder companies are >> leaving California in droves. > > Name one company that has left due to the labor laws. They are much more > likely to leave due to environmental restrictions than any other reason. > >> Most of the laws are regarding hourly employees and are driven by very >> powerful labor unions. Why the unions are doing such things is >> anyone's guess, but a lot of the laws are to the detriment of the >> employee. > > This makes no sense, labor unions set the rules for their workplaces and > are thus exempt from these state laws that you mention. > > Almost every one of the items you mention are on the books to keep > laborers > from being exploited by upper management. Many, many companies have tried > making almost everyone some type of manager so that they can be required > to > work an ungodly number of hours yet only be paid for 40. Those companies > are now required to pay large amounts of back overtime pay once they are > challenged. > > A number of the examples you list can also be modified by the company > based > upon a secret vote by the employees. > > Bill > >

Comment

Can't. It's a secret . Seriously, here's one example: http://www.dir.ca.gov/t8/11170.html

Comment

As a manager in a company in California, the labor laws are driving me, and many other managers, nuts. It's no wonder companies are leaving California in droves. Most of the laws are regarding hourly employees and are driven by very powerful labor unions. Why the unions are doing such things is anyone's guess, but a lot of the laws are to the detriment of the employee. Here are just a few of the examples that create problems. By the way, lest you think programmers are salaried and I shouldn't be concerned, think again. The state of California says that a programmer that makes less than $47.81 per hour ($99,444.80 per annum) MUST be considered hourly. - Hourly employees must take a lunch hour no more than 5 hours after they clock in. That means if they clock in at 5:30am they must start their lunch no later than 10:30 am. No more going to lunch with the gang at noon. - They MUST take a minimum of 30 minutes for lunch. A lunch of 29 minutes is considered NO lunch and an employee that takes NO lunch must be paid an hour's pay as a penalty. WalMart just go hit with a $172 million judgment for not enforcing the 30 minute minimum. As a result at our company an employee that clocks out for less than 30 minutes at lunch gets a verbal warning. Second time it's written, third time and they're gone. We're investing about $60,000 in new time clocks so we can enforce the 30 minute rule. - Employees can work 6 hours without a lunch break if they go home at the 6 hour point and not come back during the same day. They must sign a waiver to do this though. If their project or task isn't completed at 6 hours then, too bad, they gotta go. Medical technicians beware, if that open heart surgery takes too long you must bail! - ANYONE that spends at least 50% of their time doing what an hourly employee does MUST be considered hourly. As a result, all of our retail store managers have been moved to hourly. God forbid that they make a sale, help in the stock room, or take something to someone's car and we get a complaint to the labor board that they spend more than half of their day doing hourly work. Doesn't matter if they earn $50k or $150k the law doesn't discriminate here. - An hourly employee that works more than 8 hours in a day gets overtime. You can't take 2 hours off to see your kid's teacher and make it up tomorrow because that extra 2 hours tomorrow will be overtime. - Comp time is strictly forbidden in California for hourly employees. You must clock in when you arrive and clock out when you leave. No working when you're not on the clock and no getting paid when you're not on the clock. PERIOD. - You can NOT be at your workstation when not on the clock. No eating lunch at your desk, no doing homework, no reading. NOTHING. You must go elsewhere when you're not clocked in or the labor board may come back and require you to pay years and years of overtime for employees that read the paper at their desk. (This actually happened to an employee of mine in the mid-80s. She carpooled and arrived 30 minutes early so she sat at her desk and read the paper. The labor board came in for another reason (once they're there they investigate EVERYONE) and found this out. We had to pay her overtime for 2 years worth of reading the paper!) It's crazy here, I tell ya! BTW, there's one thing that California does that I like. Vacation pay, once earned, can never be taken away. Any unused vacation time accrued when you terminate employment must be paid to you. A company can put a ceiling on how much vacation time you can accrue, but they can never take it away. No other state does this to my knowledge.

Comment

You're a flatlander, and I'm a cheesehead. We both know ya can't go showing a coaster, a script that wasn't created in tinsel town! Even when faced with the facts, some coaster's perceptions, are the only reality that matters. I think it has something to do with the weather, sun or soak. They don't get the nice blanket of, mind cleansing snow, like we just got a few inches of. That's why Joel is so witty, and funny. He receives the same kind of freezing, smack you in the face, yearly wake up to reality, that our genus require. But, seriously, I haven't posted in awhile. Part of my job description reads "Research iSeries problem solutions, using technical web resources, and industry newsletters". So that means I log about 2 hours every day reading my subscription e-mails, and various forums such as, MCPress, Search400, Midrange Mailing Lists, iSeries Network, Ignite/400, and RPGIV. Then I tack on another hour at the IBM technical site, going over the latest PSP, and PTF information. After that, I really have no other time to get into non-technical discussions, unless they're on my own clock, such as this post at 5 AM. So I'm mostly just a lurker, extracting the good information I find, and ignoring the blather. I guess that makes me one of the silent majority. I would like to thank you, and that other Joe, for having provided assistance to my organization in the past, with getting our original implementation of WAS35 up and running. In fact, a big thanks goes out to all the posters who have provided solid technical insights. I've just loaded the WAS60 Express on our 520, and I was amazed at the ease of IBM's GUI installation, from my workstation. Later this afternoon, I'll be putting on the latest cume, and groups. While this may be off topic, there are a few things I don't understand, and since I haven't posted often, I just thought I would get them off my chest. Why would any organization spend hundreds of thousands of dollars, on a new iSeries system, and not budget the 5 grand it costs for the HMC? As far as I'm concerned, the HMC IS sliced bread. I can't believe all the remote functionality, our C04 HMC has provided me. I did a complete FSP upgrade, through a remote connection from home, and it was a breeze. The only problem I've ever had with it, was when I upgraded the HMC from 4.5 to 5.1. Even though I successfully saved my configuration data before the upgrade, that data did not automatically migrate, and I was left with a virgin installation. I called IBM support, and the first tech I talked to, said I could try to re-connect to the FSP by trying various combinations of IP ranges, then the system would rebuild the partition information on the HMC. All the other customized settings would need to be re-entered. I asked if there was any way to get the information I saved, back from the disk on the HMC, and he said no. Once again, his perception, not reality. I talked to a second tech, and after he understood that I was technically qualified to hack into the HMC file system, showed me the hidden door and password to use, to unlock their system lockdown. We examined the backup tar, and all the information was there. In just a short while, that information was copied over to the new version, and all my customized settings, and system information, had returned. This guy was the best. He wasn't just reading from his "script", but took real initiative, and had extreme inside knowledge on how to get my problem solved. Even with this glitch, I give two thumbs, and two pinkies, way up for the HMC. Question number two. This list, and most of the others I read, are populated by "The Usual Suspects". If you take all of the names, or all of the systems they represent, from all of the forums, just how many would there be? If you compared that number, to all of the iSeries systems in IBM's install base, what would that percentage be? OK, let's just limit the base down to only those systems installed in the US. I still think the ratio would be very, very small. So why aren't these other system admin types, participating in our discussions, and using these resources? Are these eZines failing to advertise, the great service they provide to the iSeries community. MCPress nearly died a few years back. The paper version did. It was only through the sheer will of the various contributers, that this on-line version survived. In my state, we have many Counties who use the iSeries. I've gone to meetings with my contemporaries, from the other Counties, and asked them why they don't belong to our little part of the WWW, or a LUG, or even go to common. I get the same 2 answers. Most don't have the time. They are involved in projects, working on user system requirements, or just basically providing system support to the developers, and other IT staff members. And secondly, most don't have any problems they can't solve themselves, so they don't need any "tips" or advice. The majority of us get our information from the IBM sites, or handle any issues directly with IBM through our support contract. And all of us, have BPs who break their necks to make sure we are well pampered, or they won't have the contract next year. Which brings me back to question 1. Why would anyone spend the money for a BMW, and cheap out on the gas, and oil, and not pay for the maintenance? I guess I just don't understand the real business world, where executives, and managers, make a ton of money, but pinch pennies on their information technology. Information is the life blood, and memory cell, of any organization. As far as ROI is concerned, I can't see where buying a cheaper brain, and putting it in a monster body, would lead to anything but disaster. Kind of like what eyegor did in "Young Frankenstein" with the brain of Abbey Normal. Mr. Pluta, I've always agreed with you concerning the myriad of ways that iSeries data can be entered, or presented. It doesn't matter what procedure you use, under the covers to give the data to the consumer, as long as that data is being managed, and preserved, by the most secure, and robust database in the entire world. To use my auto analogy, my iSeries is the engine, drive train, and wheels of our organization. I don't care what "body" you throw on the chassis, when I hit the gas, she moves, and handles like a dream. If the body is smooth, and aerodynamic, she even moves, and looks better. But you can't throw a Ferrari body, on a Yugo, and call it a sports car. (Do they even make Yugos anymore?) Yeah, I know IBM hardware is expensive. But in my 25 years in the IBM midrange world, I've never lost 1 byte of data due to a hardware failure. I can't tell you how many times I've seen network, and Windows server administrators, getting fried (and fired, I may add) because their system crashed, and current data was lost. That's just my opinion, and possibly that of 90% of iSeries user not represented in these forums, and as Dennis Miller always says "I could be wrong". Thanks for sticking with me through this yearly rant. No need to respond, I'm not looking for validation, or a fight. I just thought you might be interested another viewpoint. Dale

Comment

Working...
                X