Strange behavior at COMMON

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange behavior at COMMON

Wow. I think I will "help" them along and move everything to a Windows platform so I WILL NEVER HAVE FREE TIME AGAIN. What a joke. I had no idea COMMON was managed by the The Comedy Channel.

I attended the COMMON opening session last week in Miami Beach. At that session I was presented with the new iSociety.com site where the users of the System i were encourage to congregate and help each other with regard to the system. This appeared to be another web site such as MC Press Online, or many of the other sites with one exception: it had COMMON and IBM's blessing. Then something strange happened. The opening session took on the tones of a charity telethon. They encouraged, no begged, us to get involved, to spend lots of our personal time to make sure the System i was supported and survived. By the time the presentation ended I felt that the System i was a charity that would go off into seclusion and die if we didn't "get the message out." This became comical to me as I tried to remind myself that, the last time I looked, IBM and the System i was a for-profit business. I could hardly believe my ears when the iSociety pitch asked for us to donate our precious time to prop up this Fortune 500 company and their product. They're preying on our fear that if the System i goes away we will be out on the streets begging for food. I know that if I have extra time to donate I'm going to give it to a charity that does work for those in need, not to support a very profitable company. What the heck is IBM thinking? It was clear that they approved of this and supported it all the way. I just left the session shaking my head wondering what lemmings will go along with this new marketing gimmick. Will you? chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer.

Comment

So... IBM wants all 1000 people at COMMON to spread the word? I get it now. We have become the advertising campaign for the i5 that we keep telling IBM to do. I guess IBM just can't afford TV and radio commercials, and newspaper and magazine ads. :-0 Chris

Comment

Working...
      X