The browser of choice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The browser of choice

Joe, I don't mind responding to your points about the topic at hand, but I'll have to drop out if you continue to take my references out of context and poke fun at them. My reference to Jefferson and the Declaration of Independence was in response to your generalization that "a standard written by one guy (name cut) isn't much of a standard." I simply listed a couple examples of historically significant standards written by individuals. But you recast my reference as "And you, sir, must have one serious investment in the W3C if you're going to compare it to the Declaration of Independence!" - "And while you may think Mssr. Le Hégaret is the reincarnation of Jefferson, I sugeest it's pretty unlikely." I don't have a serious investment in W3C. I didn't compare the W3C to the Declaration of Independence. I don't believe in reincarnation. I don't even have a problem with you basing your software on IE. But, yes in reference to browser technology, I think standards are a good thing. Nathan.

Comment

The browser of choice

Nathan, I didn't take anything out of context! You're the one who insisted on comparing a technical standard to one of the most important documents in the history of the world. I found the analogy faulty, since the two types of writing have nothing to do with one another. And I also pointed out that Jefferson was perhaps one of the most brilliant men of his time, and while Mssr. Le Hégaret may be a bright guy, chances are he's not in the same league as Jefferson. If you take offense at that, I'm sorry, but I wasn't the one who took us down that road. I still insist that a standard written by one guy usually isn't much of a standard; the lack of peer review during the design process typically leads to skewed designs. I might be wrong; please feel free to name one ANSI or IEEE standard that was the work of a single person. Don't get me wrong. Good standards are a good thing. But bad standards are a bad thing, and perhaps worse than no standards, because it allows bad practices to flourish under the umbrella of "standard" (EJB is one such standard). And by no means do I consider all W3C standards bad, either. I'm pretty happy with the CSS work. I just think that the DOM standard has some real problems and that it's only getting worse, not better. And if it continues to get worse, it will force browser designers into a lose-lose situation: either follow a bad design or develop a "non-standard" product. I'm hardly a Microsoft apologist; I think their history of co-opting good standards is horrendous. But I hope they don't buckle under in this particular instance. Joe

Comment

The browser of choice

Ok, I've been happy with Internet Explorer, it does what I want and I didn't have to do anything to make it work. And it's free. But, lately I've heard of all of the security holes using I.E. I've also heard the incessant rants on the podcasts by Leo Leporte, a tech guy I respect. So, I relented and took the plunge and installed Firefox 1.5. It has tabs, is safe because it doesn't run ASPs, etc. I've been using Firefox for about 2 weeks and eventually had to give it up. Yes, I loved those tabs, kept everything neat. Yes, I felt safer. But, dang it, it simply didn't render many pages properly. It didn't handle CSS very well and some pages were completely unreadable. We often create web pages, without frames, where we hold the column titles fixed and scroll the data. Doesn't work in Firefox. Some rollovers don't work in Firefox. You can see an example of this at www.excelsystems.com. Roll over the words Application Development. A list of choices should appear in the grey bar below those words. They simply don't show up in Firefox. I wouldn't have even known those choices existed had I not been an I.E. user. How can a bunch of so called "experts" laud a product that just plain doesn't work properly? It's incredible what Lemmings many of the mainstream media and press are these days! In any event, I found what I think is a good solution. In installed I.E. 7 and now I have tabs and what Microsoft has claimed is a safer and more secure browser. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer.

Comment

Working...
        X