Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is anything sacred anymore? (outsourcing)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is anything sacred anymore? (outsourcing)

The soundtracks are synthesized!? Next you'll be trying to tell me those aren't real people laughing at those hysterically funny sitcoms. rd

Not only are the soundtracks synthesized, but you don't even need a musician or even composer. Check this out... it allows you to "map the moods" of youR video and the music is... well.. synthesized for you. http://www.smartsound.com/sonicfire/index.html Programmers! Ha! They'll put us all out of work

Comment

I know you all are half-kidding, but it does really bug me. Chalk it up to a hold over love of toons from childhood. If my job goes away, I can understand it (what the heck is RPG anyway?), but you're telling me that if I want to change careers, I can't get no stinking job drawing Bugs Bunny pictures?! This makes me want to pick up my bucket and shovel and walk out of this stoopid sandbox.

Comment

On a personal note: A little over two years ago, I decided to hedge my career choices, and go into retail. I could be my own boss, and never be outsourced. Well, I haven't been outsourced, but I haven't had a profitable month yet either. I am still consulting, and it looks like I will still have to consult for a while yet. On the other, other hand, retail is a great deal of fun. My wife runs the store, and I do the background work. It has been a great adventure. We've improved our sales by 100% since we first started, and should show a profit any year now. In other words, there is a cold hard world outside of the stoopid sandbox. There are other types of businesses, and other types of careers, each has its own pitfalls. Fighting the invasions into I.T.'s domain is ours. If anyone has a success story about leaving I.T., now woould be a good time to post it. Dave

Comment

David Abramowitz wrote: > Well, I haven't been outsourced, but I haven't had a profitable month > yet either. I am still consulting, and it looks like I will still > have to consult for a while yet. Dave, Just a warning: 3 years ( IIRC ) of non-profit equals the IRS terming it a hobby and not a business. Bill

Comment

Dave, I know a couple of people who have left the I.T. field for long haul semi driving. One is making about $65K and the other $80K. Personally, I've gotten into a couple fo different fields. I'm still doing one of them (income taxes) but I still need to keep the I.T. thing going for awhile, yet. I don't have enough experience in taxes to make the big bucks. But, I mainly stay in I.T. because I like it. I also like doing taxes. In many ways, they are very similar. So, between the two, I might be able to do fine. OTOH, there's always truckin'! Tom.

Comment

I got out of independent IT Consulting a few months ago. I'm still in IT as a programmer but as a full time W2 employee. Between outsourcing, diminishing local contracts with a decent hourly rate, my ever increasing liability and health insurance premiums, a young family, etc, it was just time to find a permanent desk. But it was a good run... 7 1/2 years! Chris

Comment

I have only recently became a fan of that absolutely wacko "Family Guy" show. Having a chance to view some special feature info on my DVD I noted several comments regarding "outsourcing the animation to Korea". This led me to ask myself, "Is there nothing sacred anymore in America?" What kind of Country have we become where, if a kid grows up dreaming to be something extraordinary and discovers a gift for something like animation or drawing, all the doors are closed simply because, "Sorry kid. You'll have to move to Korea to work in that field." In another feature, comments were made that there was only like, THREE SHOWS, in the WHOLE INDUSTRY where actual musicians were hired to perform the scores used in the shows---the rest are all synthesized. What and who aren't we going to sell down the river for the bottom line? I don't know about the rest of you, but this is quite sad to me.

Comment

I don't think that rule applies in this case. I have four employees, and pay a variety of real estate taxes, sales taxes, withholding, and other taxes. I will check with my accountant per your info. In the meantime, if your not in the NY Metro area, you can visit us at: http://www.merlenormanstudio.com/mn-9046 Dave

Comment

Chris Ringer wrote: > I got out of independent IT Consulting a few months ago. I'm still in > IT as a programmer but as a full time W2 employee. Between > outsourcing, diminishing local contracts with a decent hourly rate, > my ever increasing liability and health insurance premiums, a young > family, etc, it was just time to find a permanent desk. Funny, I'm considering going the other way. At the least of which would be consulting, but I wouldn't have too much of a problem totally moving out of IT. 15 years at my current employer and I think I'm suffering burnout. Bill

Comment

Working...
                    X