X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ring the bell

Please explain

Ring the bell

Two and a half years ago I landed here and brought real ILE another brought Java, I thought I had a home for the rest of my coding days. But, yesterday I attended THE MEETING, all 70 IS employees, what a great day it was, the company is going sexy and guiey and is getting there fast with an industry specfic package written in, cmon, only 3 guesses, if your 3rd guess was India, then your first two were wrong. Everyone in IS should be excited they said, change is a coming, and it is good. And for everyone except the 10 RPG coders here I guess they are right on, right. Even operations can just drop a box off of their list and then add a hundred more. Just another bummer. But wait, they were right, I feel a change a coming. Another city for sure, probably another industry and maybe get to meet some more of you guys. Anyway, when I thought about it for awhile I just pictured that little bell in 'IT's been a Wonderful Life' ringing.

Comment

Ring the bell

This is a terrible development, and I truly hope that everything works out for the best. One shouldn't hope that this situation will change for a long time though. Sadness sometimes comes over me as I watch myself turn slowly from an optimist into a pessimist. Yet, I have no choice---IMHO, the United States is fully committed to a path of national suicide. I have tried to grab on to bits of good news here and there to justify an optimistic position, but there simply aren’t enough positive things happening to push back the force of the bad. And lest anyone have any delusions that changing the occupants of the White House or the Capitol will mean anything, I refer you this article: http://www.nysun.com/article/38111 and this one: http://www.townhall.com/columnists/R...enate_snakepit This upcoming activity for which most of us will participate (November 7, election day)---Why do we continue to do it? Is it not nothing more than mass insanity? (doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result)

Comment

Ring the bell

Last week they sacked 18 RPG programmers from the consulting firm. Take four guesses as to where the jobs are gone. The third answer is India. If your answer is third, you are wrong. The correct answer is fourth i.e. Java based application

Comment

Ring the bell

I ain't giving up!!! I was just paying proper respects to good friend. I have rung that bell and am looking for a new friend. I have the skills that are desirable in the shops that are left, and I will be out of work probably a weekend.

Comment

Ring the bell

The only reason I said India, is because that is where it comes from. I actually have not seen outsourcing to India before in my travels, it has been from south and waaayyy south of the borders. But in my case the third answer is right and it is India and DotNet. Where was that java application written? Were they truly sacked or were they just finished? If we write it they will buy it(only if it works and they happen to need it). This just gives me an opportunity to see some other part of the country.

Comment

Ring the bell

... after you have dissed the greed of your own country's corporate word for sweat shops The code was written by an Israeli based company. Well there aren't so many programmers in Israel so guess where are they are hiring them from? Oh gosh! If your answer was third, you were right after all

Comment

Ring the bell

Actually I pulled cord, and yes, Ralph, there are still instances of two simultaneos excellent offers if one is willing to move. Looking over my shoulder, it looks like it will be a total outsourcing effort that followed a change in C-level people. The first wave of Indians are already here. On the bright side, yes, it does exist. I talked to a number of dedicated 400 shops that have progresive initiatives, and am grateful that I will be part of one.

Comment

Ring the bell

Good news, ctibodoe! First that you found a good company running on the 400, and second that you found more than one to choose from. That is indeed worth some bell tolling. Moving for me was a given, and I ended up moving to Florida, and I hope you like your new location and job. It's good to hear things are picking up a little. rd

Comment

Ring the bell

Ring the bell as another AS/400 shop and 10 developers pass on to another life.

Comment

Working...
                    X