X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guest.Visitor
    Guest replied
    eula vs maintenance agreement?

jimstas wrote: > When does an end user license become tied to a maintenance agreement? Jim, You aren't alone. CS is quite notorious in their disregard for Customer Relations. For entertainment, go here: http://archive.midrange.com/midrange-l/index.htm Enter California Software as the search term and read along. Bill

Leave a comment:

• Guest.Visitor
    Guest replied

Thanks for the input. The conversations with California Software have neither been fair nor reasonable. Initially they wanted us to pay for a couple of years of maintenance to get our account "up to date". Then, after indicating that we would not do this, they said they would waive the past due amount but we needed to pay the current maintenance. I'm not sure, but I believe that they have had fairly high turnover as everytime I contact them I speak with someone new where I have to re-explain the situation. They were unaware that we had cancelled maintenance and had not paid in years. If I had never called, they would not even know who we are.... Anyway, these forums are my way to vent and look for ideas. Thanks to all.

Leave a comment:

• Guest.Visitor
    Guest replied

When does an end user license become tied to a maintenance agreement? I know this may be out of the normal questions, but I have run into a brick wall and am looking for help. Our company purchased a server package (with 5 end user licenses) called BABY/36 from California Software (www.calsw.com) back in 2000. This package allowed us to maintain the limited System/36 RPG code we had while allowing us to utilize other software for other aspects of our business. The RPG code has had only minor changes, mostly for data conversions, since implementation in late 2000. For the first couple of years after purchasing the package, we paid for the maintenance agreement. When suddenly the cost of maintenance became greater than the initial purchase price, we decided that maintenance was not needed. This decision was based both on the non-use of maintenance and on the lack of development/changes being made. In other words, everything was working just fine. Now comes our problem. One of our end user PC’s had a motherboard go bad. As you can tell, we are a simple shop and have had very little change over the past 5 years. Well, the way California Software limits the number of users to 5 is by somehow logging the end user PC’s bios on the server. Thus, with a motherboard/bios change the PC is not recognized. While it seems simple to me to be able to “refresh” this list, California Software will not re-authenticate the package without us purchasing a maintenance agreement – they will not even let us pay a premium for the couple of minutes (according to one of their service techs) it would take to re-authenticate. Of course, at this time the maintenance agreement is more than double the initial purchase price. Now I realize that they are continuously enhancing the product and maintenance can be costly, we are just not in a position to make that change. I have to say that this package has served us well over the years; however, I would have a difficult time recommending California Software, or any other company for that matter, that disregards their customers like this. To this point, we have one end user who has been limited in doing his job because of their greedy lack of concern. Back to my initial question, is a maintenance agreement required for the authentication of the end user license? Can there be any other recourse? Thanks, Jim

Leave a comment:

• David Abramowitz
    replied

I have dealt with California Software in the past, and found them to be reasonable. Talk to them first. Then see if there still is an issue. Dave

Leave a comment:

• Guest.Visitor
    Guest replied

Jim, You may want to post this at Ed Foster's Gripelog here at www.gripe2ed.com. This site is hosted by InfoWorld. Ed addresses all sorts of consumer issues focusing primarily on technology. This is a common issue in the P.C. software world. Every now and then, a vendor will post a reply and you may be able to come to an agreement with California Sotfware. A word of warning. Ed allows anonymous posting and some of them can get nasty. But, you might get some good ideas. I think you need to send Ed an email explaining the situation. He then decides whether to post it. Or, you can post it as something called a live gripe. You might want to visit the site first to decide if you want to post there. Tom.

Leave a comment:

• R.Daugherty
    started a topic eula vs maintenance agreement?

that's not maintenance, that's blackmail. We're going to see this from lots of PC weenies now that Microsoft is doing it with WGA. You can't threaten to take your business with them away, there is no more business when you dropped maintenance, and they'll never get another customer for this /36 stuff, so they wouldn't even care if you threaten to port your /36 code and stop using their product altogether. So they play hardball to get maintenance (and back maintennace, plus a penalty percentage). Come to think of it, it's not limited to PC weenies. Reminds me of SSA... before they went bankrupt. rd
Working...
X