Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re:Shhhhhh...

mpavlak wrote:
    ... I'll throw you a loose analogy, People in IBM midrange shops religiously back up their i5's on a daily basis. Good tape, clean drive under IBM maintenance, the whole nine yards. Now, this is the most reliable computer in the shop, most likely. But I ask you, which is the least reliable? I'm gonna take a wild guess that right after the Data General is the Windows desktop. So, if the i5 is the most reliable and it gets backed up every day (except in an HA shop where it is backup up every second) how often does the windows desktop get backed up? ...
    I like that comparison. But to be fair, who in their right mind puts mission critical data on a Windows desktop? :dry: I've said it before and I'll say it again, but it always amazes me how you can have such bright people choosing System i solutions, but are willing to put up with crap on the desktop. To be fair, I didn't have much problem with the Windows NT 2000 desktop I had at IBM. But I hear nothing but complaints from those near me who use XP and Vista. I occasionally use my wife's XP machine, and I feel like I'm wearing boxing gloves while using that machine, even when her's was the faster machine in this house. She gets so frustrated with Windows that she sometimes asks me to install Linux on her machine. (Maybe I will someday, but it's still handy to have a machine in the house running IE to test web site updates.) Or consider my Dad, who had Vista installed on his computer before I had a chance to warn him. (As if he'd listen to my advice anyways!) After having printer driver problems, his local service shop ended up setting him up with a dual boot arrangement: XP and Vista. OK, sure, I know I'm getting off track here, but IT shops absolutely need to consider alternatives to Windows. Sure, that is now happening in the wider IT community, especially after Vista. But too often, people in the iSeries community are a bit too hesitant to catch on to important trends like that. I've been running Linux on my home desktop for almost 10 years now. For the past 4 months I've had openSUSE 10.3, and it's been a fabulous experience. It's about time that those stuck with Windows get a taste of a real desktop system. Cheers! Hans

Comment

I'm about ready to give up on this site. In addition to the forum issues, the site itself is painfully slow. I am not blaming any language or programming technique. It's more fundamental. What was the business case for moving from the existing site? Why use this specific design? What were the promised cost/income benefits? Did anyone try a similar site in advance? Didn't anyone voice any objections at all to the new site prior to implementation? Wake me up for release 2.0 Dave

Comment

Ditto on David's comments. Joe

Comment

Folks...It's the writing on the wall everywhere, and in every aspect of our lives, from the moment your feet hit the floor to the minute your head hits the pillow. We need to manage our disappointments way better. My life's experience tells me it's easier to reduce your expectations than to grieve the disappointments.

Comment

Working...
          X