Deploying files to another iSeries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deploying files to another iSeries

One way is simply to get your changed PF and any "new" or changed logicals over to the prod system in an "upgrade-from" library. Doesn't matter how you get them there...ftp, or snads, or whatever you use. Once they are there: First CPYF data from the prod file to the "new" physical. Then simply dupe (CRTDUPOBJ) your logicals from prod to the "upgrade" library. Assuming your logicals are in the same library as your physicals, they will attach and be dependent upon the "new" physical. If they aren't, you'll have to re-CRTLF the logicals over the "upgrade" library. Last: This takes some "stones" and *EXCL locks on the prod files. Because you're going to wack (delete) the prod logicals and physical, then copy and/or dupe the "new" physical (with data) and logicals back into prod. When manual change-management is the practice...Always with a good and recent backup of the files being changed. Good Luck.

I thought of doing that, but the problem is that this needs to run from the Developement iSeries. We are trying to create a 1 step process. A simple solution is to do it the way I have it so far, the data is copied to the development machine (that way I don't have to worry about it) and then savrstobj all objects for that file. Our naming conventions are such that if I put an astric at the end of the file name, all logical files will be included. The problem is notifying the development system that everything ran correctly, ie. all files were restored and none were not restored. Another solution of course is to make it a 2 part process like you indicate and simply move the files to the production machine and do similar logic that you indicated. The people here are new to the iSeries and I want to keep it as simple as possible. The best solution would be to purchase a CMS system, but after 2 years they still are not open to the idea.

Comment

Don't you always get the CPFAD8D and CPF3773 when attempting to restore a file of the same name with a different format than the existing file...??? I believe that's a little bit of built-in by the i5/OS. Before "he" restores a file...He see's that the file being restored is different than the existing file and he says..."Uh I'm better off not doing a restore...It's a whole different file now...You're gonna have to do it yourself." In other words: CPF3773

Comment

I can trap the CPFAD8D message but the CPF3773 message is from the other system. I it showes in the joblog after it says the message is from the other system. If I could get to the CPF3773 and retrieve the variable &4 (I believe that is the not restored variable) then all would be well. Unfortunately, I haven't figured out how to get that message and how to convert the MSGDATA to something I can actually use (5 or the fields are binary).

Comment

I have some familiarity w/Aldon's CMS in a distributed dev vs. prod environment a couple a years back. Anyway, when you "promoted" file objects to the production system, he wads it all up in a *savf on dev...Then he snads-dit over to prod, and submitted a remote command or something that runs a (CL I believe) program to do the copy-out, dupe-ing logicals, copy-back,...etc, on the prod system. Good luck, carry on.

Comment

Have you tried: create(unless they already exist) the PF and all logicals on the PROD machine and create a DDM pointont to the DEV machine and copy (replace/add/as needed) from the dev-DDM to PROD. Just a suggestion.

Comment

We have 2 iSeries (1 dev and 1 prod). We need to deploy file changes to from the dev to prod systems. I was trying to use SAVRSTOBJ but I run into a problem with knowing if it worked or not. If the file exists and there has been a change (field added or removed), I get the CPFAD8D, what I want to do is retrieve the previous message CPF3773 and check if the file restored. I'm not sure if I'm doing this right or not but basically I'm using ddm to copy data to the dev system (*map *drop) then doing the save/restor so that I don't loose the data in the production file. Can anybody tell me how to monitor that the restore worked on the other system? Am I going about this all wrong? This process (savrstobj) works fine for all types of objects except PF and LFs. TIA

Comment

Perhaps the: Allow object differences . . . . ALWOBJDIF *NONE default parameter on the SAVRSTOBJ was overlooked. If yes, try *ALL, if not keep thinking. Am I wrong or blind in one eye and I can't see anything out of my other one...??? But there ain't an *OUTFILE parameter option on this cmd like *PRINT or OUTLIB/OUTFILE..??? I was thinking you could use that somehow...???

Comment

Reeploying files to another iSeries

How to use DDM to access the file from one as/400 to another as/400. Can somebody give me a sample CL code. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                  X