Monitor System for jobs with MSGW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monitor System for jobs with MSGW

You could use Operations Navigator's Management Central and set up a Job Monitor that checks for Job Status of "Waiting for message".

See this forum discussion.

Comment

What I'm trying to do is avoid setting up a monitor that the Help Desk has to remember to start. I am trying to create a utility using the QUSRJOBI API. I'm going to write it in VARPG so I can put it in their start up and it will display a list of jobs only when one exists. I was hoping that someone has already done something similar on the iSeries so I didn't have to figure out all the parms for the APIs that I'm going to have to use. I'm not that familiar with API programming.

Comment

Glen, I wrote such a monitior recently, but it runs in a subsystem on the AS/400 and sends a message to an appointed user (QSYSOPR would be the normal user). In this monitior I use the List Jobs API, requiring a user space. For info on this API, see the manuals. The jobs is started and ended due to the job scheduler. Some code added below. Regards, Carel Teijgeler
        Code

Comment

I was wondering if anybody has written a utility that they are willing to share that monitors the jobs in the system and identifies those jobs that are at a specific status (i.e. MSGW). If someone does have one I would be interested in getting a copy. I am trying to write a VARPG program that will pop up a window whenever a jobs has a MSGW. We have had a couple of instances where messages have gone unanswered for days (of course causing major problems). In leu of someone supplying the utility I'm going ahead an trying to write one using the QUSRJOBI API (and maybe use the QWCRJBST API). Are these the best ones to use for this function/utility? TIA

Comment

Glen: See < http://home.earthlink.net/~tliotta/Files/UnPublic/ > for the two CL programs named LSTJOBMSGW and FNDJOBMSGW. The first looks for any job with status MSGW and then passes that job name to FNDJOBMSGW. The reason is because MSGW can result from a couple of causes and I generally am only interested in one cause -- the second CL isolates to the cause most people are really interested in. FNDJOBMSGW will examine the *EXT message queue of the supplied job looking for a message type '06' with reply status 'W'. This will indicate a message that is a < Sender's copy > of an *INQuiry message ('06') that is still waiting for a reply ('W'). The reason for doing this is to differentiate from a job that is simply doing a normal RCVMSG and waiting for a message on the queue. There are numerous jobs that process messages from message queues and often go into MSGW state. I'm generally only interested in jobs that have run into some kind of problem and have sent an inquiry message to find out what to do to resolve the problem. These are messages that commonly have reply values like '(C R D)' or something similar. Use the CLs to see samples of APIs to use and values to look for. The only things that result out of those two programs are messages that essentially say "I found one" or "There are none". Customize to suit your needs; probably best to implement in ILE RPG rather than CL, but CL or ILE CL work -- the major issue is the use of QUSRTVUS rather than using pointers.

Comment

Working...
            X