IPL at Software Vendor's Request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IPL at Software Vendor's Request

If they will not tell give you an intelligent reason why then that begs the question, "why am I using this software"?

I did call the vendor's support desk and they said" if you don't ipl the alpha lookup screens could be very slow"...so it appears to be performance related.

Comment

Play dumb. Ask them to tell you what kind of programming enhancement would be performance related. I could see signing off and back on for possible activation group cleanup, but not an IPL. Are there any other users of the software you could contact to see what they did? Hope this helps. Doug

Comment

Maybe they are rebuilding LF indexes during the IPL. Otherwise, the rebuilds may occur when the alpha lookup screens are accessed. If there are a lot of records or a lot of LFs, it could slow down the lookup process. Once the rebuilds occur, the lookups should be faster. Another thought: Maybe they're keeping their own key lists and need to update them during the IPL. In any case, you should be able to get a more detailed answer from them. Tell them you'll stop paying support if you don't get a real technical answer. Tom.

Comment

Thanks Tom... that makes sense to me. I have enough information from you guys now to make the decision to go with applying the PTF tonight and if need be rebuilding indexes manually tomorrow as needed, no IPL. That is a lot better solution than having patients wait over an hour in the ER tonight for lab results. The PTF just relates to our 8 to 5 non emergency clinics.

Comment

PTF was applied without an IPL and all appears normal this morning. Caution no one is advocating going against your software vendors directives however is this case, people and medical were at risk.

Comment

It's interesting that it's working ok but the vendor said you needed to IPL. Is the software medical-facility specific? If so, the vendor should be aware of uptime issues. I'm glad it's working for you. I hope you don't have some issues pop up later. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do sometimes. Tom

Comment

We have a software vendor that insist that we need to IPL our AS400 after applying their latest Patch to their software. The software is exclusively RPG and Cl, as far as I can tell. Therefore what would/could be the reason to IPL. Any ideas or thoughts. We are a 24/7 hospital and taking down the system is very expensive. Are there specific object types that require and IPL?

Comment

Shouldn't a critical care component be operating with redundancy anyway?

Comment

Working...
                  X