New administrator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New administrator

Frank Soto wrote: > Our company recently acquired an as/400. I have been assigned to be > the interim system administrator. I have downloaded some IBM ebooks > and joined some forums. Does anyone have advice on what i should be > checking on a daily basis? Maybe a checklist used at work? Frank, One of the great things about the 400 is that it can do a lot of the admin functions itself. Make sure it's cleaning itself up automatically. Type GO CLEANUP at a command line and set or review the cleanup functions. One thing that's likely not handled automatically is the deleting of the History files. Type WRKF QSYS/QHST* at a command line, this will show you all of the history files that exist on your system. You can determine when the file was created by looking at the first 6 characters of the text field; this is the lung julian date. example: 105031. . . means it was created on Jan 31 2005. I usually crop them to only the last 2 weeks of files. Finally, review the publications MCPressOnline has available, I'm sure you'll find some worth obtaining. Bill

New administrator

Bill wrote: > You can > determine when the file was created by looking at the first 6 > characters of the text field; this is the lung julian date. example: > 105031. . . means it was created on Jan 31 2005. Correction: actually, it's a century controlled ymd date. So, it might actually read 1050310 would be March 10. Bill

Comment

New administrator

Thank you for your help Bill. Automatic cleaning was set up to no. I set it to *yes and set the number of days to 60. I will check on the history files. Thanks again. Frank.

Comment

New administrator

There are a lot of things you have to know. But OS/400 is with a very good Online HELP. For first, you have learn to use it always. I'm System Admin more than 10 years, and I'm still using. If I understood, you are new in OS/400 too? If YES, I can tell you some little tips to can orientate in the OS/400 commands. On command line press F4 - Major Command Groups menu appears. Keep in mind F4. This is very important key - "PROMPT" and is very useful everywhere in the commands. For the System Admin the more important menus are: SETUP,SYSTEM,ASSIST,SAVE,BACKUP or BRMS,CFG,TCPADM,LICPGM,RESOURCE,SECTOOLS and much more. To go to menu use "GO" command. Be careful before execute the commands! Some of them are very dangerous! Good luck!

Comment

New administrator

Our company recently acquired an as/400. I have been assigned to be the interim system administrator. I have downloaded some IBM ebooks and joined some forums. Does anyone have advice on what i should be checking on a daily basis? Maybe a checklist used at work? Thanks for your help.

Comment

Working...
          X