Parallel save - need BRMS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parallel save - need BRMS?

I am sure you are aware... that if you use this method, you can not use the traditional rstobj or rstlib on those tapes. It has to be restored the same way. If you are trying to balance the workload, it is much better to sit down with a XLS, and divide out your librarys and then tweek after until you get them running about the same... That is until someone creates a large object and throws you off balance. I deal with this same issue using 6 tape drives on a 6 terrabyte system.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have the system in a restricted state during the save, and AFAIK I can't run any job other than the console. Maybe I could put in a fake startup program that does nothing, then STRSBS QCTL. Nothing would start, but I should be able to submit batch jobs to QCTL. Or does the STRSBS start TCP &etc. no matter what? I wonder, if I run a QSHELL script while restricted, would it work if it had to submit a Batch Immediate job for processing? Maybe I could spawn two separate backup threads while restricted. The source of all this is that it takes 14 hours to do a full system save (GO SAVE option 21). We may get an Ultrium drive on loan and see if that helps. Then we'll be limited by the speed of the 2749 SCSI card, which I think is 27MB/s. Our current limiter is the tape drive, which maxes at 16MB/s.

Comment

Restricted State! You maybe need to consider braking up your saves into different components. 1) Do the System save in restricted state. 2) Do the Non-System Save with Save While Active. The Manufacturing environment I support could never allow for a 14 hour outage. They want access to the systems 24 hours a day. We do a Save While Active during the day/week using a 3494 and 16 Tape Drives. Then once a month we do the Restricted Save. But, we do have BRMS which makes things easier to automate.

Comment

BRMS is awesome! (If you understand it that is.) Hey. Just wanted to post something about doing full saves. I use a method that works very well. Use BRMS console function to start the restricted state save. In the control group for the restricted save it changes the QSTRUPPGM to a custom all user save while active program. After the restricted state control group finishes let it IPL the system. When the system comes up the startup program submits a save while active of the user libraries. MONSWABRM (with your custom code) then brings up the system (just as QSTRUPPGM would have) after the backup has reached synch point. The save while active control group then changes the startup program back to the original startup. Just wanted to post this information. It works very well. Scott

Comment

Thanks for the tip. We're finally getting BRMS (I think) because we're upgrading to an Enterprise Edition.

Comment

Is it possible to do a parallel save (using two tape drives simultaneously) without BRMS or APIs? From what I can tell, doing something like SAVLIB DEV(TAP01 TAP02) just switches back and forth between them, saving you only the loading/rewind/unloading time.

Comment

If you have never used BRMS before, take my advice and go to the 1 week training course. It is a very sophisticated application. It is larger than you can imagine. It does more than you can imagine. Just take your time and use the pieces that suit your needs and don't worry about the rest. If you need help with anything I can probably help you out. Scott

Comment

Working...
              X