** This thread discusses the article: TechTip: Saving Space **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: TechTip: Saving Space **

TechTip: Saving Space

Check the QRPLOBJ library also.

Comment

Absolutely, There is much more that can be done, but so much of it is dependent upon the nature of the individual workplace. What might be a great idea for some, is a disaster in the making for others. Dave

Comment

"I just wanted to let you know how many manual non-computer tasks I was able to accomplish while having to wait after every time I pressed the Enter key. It was very relaxing!" This is so funny. Aren't we held to a higher accountability than doctors? What if we told our managers that "I'm not sure exactly what the system's problem is but let's try this for a couple of days and see what happens." Dave hit it right on the nose. Scott

Comment

A recent event has led me to append this article. My client's overnight batch procedure blew up when SNDDST was not sending emails, for no apparant reason. The text on error message CPF901A was no help at all (Send Distribution Request Failed). After a bit of investigation, it was discovered that the user id used to send the emails exceeded the system distribution limit of 9,999! I had no idea that there was a distribution limit. Evidently the system (V5R2) keeps track of distributions if the directory entry for that user is set up in certain ways. This is true even when the Confirmation parameter is set to *NO. There is no easy way to remove the distributions. You must first use the QRYDST command with an OUTFILE parameter specified. Then use the DLTDST command within a loop based on the results from Query Distribution (QRYDST). The results on the other hand were nothing short of remarkable. Our disk status when from 47% of use to 38%. This is a significant disk usage reduction which I recommend to all. Dave

Comment

how would you use this to clean up all dst's? i'm signed on as administrator and i can only delete dst from myself -

Comment

Have the program adopt the necessary authority. Side note: I have the source code for distribution cleanup. It has been a while since I have written an article. I might be a bit rusty, but I will share the technique if there is a demand. Dave

Comment

I'm interested in your source code/technique for distribution cleanup. (1 tic mark for demand)

Comment

Here's another vote to publish or otherwise distribute your DST cleanup routine... I am pretty sure I have some problems with DSTs and I bet a lot of other people do to (but don't know it)

Comment

I will start work on this, this week. Please be patient as it takes a while from the time an article is submitted to the time it actually appears in print. Dave

Comment

In IBM's Knowledgebase, I happened to find a program which captures all incoming and outgoing distributions to *outfiles. It doesn't actually do any cleanup, but will provide info. PROGRAM TO DISPLAY ALL MAIL ON A SYSTEM TO FILE

Comment

There are four programs in the CLEANMAIL process. The program displayed in your link is very similar to the first program. Dave

Comment

Working...
                        X