Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TechTalk: Message Files in S/36E

** This thread discusses the article: TechTalk: Message Files in S/36E **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: TechTalk: Message Files in S/36E **

TechTalk: Message Files in S/36E

I came across a program that has been converted to native and when the user has an error on the screen the program is display the user error message number with '??'. The screen does not actually display the text for the message number. Any sugestions on what the cause may be ie: program not pointing to the external message file.

Comment

Hi Bryan, It has been quite a long while since I did any work in the System/36 Environment; and practically forever since I touched a real one. However, the error you mentioned is either caused by the application not finding the message file itself, or not finding the message-id within the file. I have seen that error often, and it is easy to fix. I t h i n k both conditions (i.e., no file or no message found) produce the same sympton in the execution environment. Of course, iSeries "Message File" means "Message Member" on the Sys/36. I forget exactly what the default message file is when you used a converted "native" System/36 display file (type DspF36). Seems like it is USR1, similar to the ##USR1 message member. As you see, my memory is getting rusty for the SSP stuff. Probably the Message file is named something different from the default. As they say, "hope this helps" (HTH) Rich

Comment

Thanks for your help. I will check the default message file or use the override message file command in the CL.

Comment

Working...
        X