Managing IBM i PTFs in the New Millennium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Managing IBM i PTFs in the New Millennium

** This thread discusses the article: Managing IBM i PTFs in the New Millennium **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: Managing IBM i PTFs in the New Millennium **

Re:Managing IBM i PTFs in the New Millennium

** This thread discusses the article: Managing IBM i PTFs in the New Millennium **
    steve@dossin.com wrote:
    ... It is most disappointing that the maker of Windows, a greatly inferior operating system overall, is so far ahead of IBM in the area of providing updates to their customers - and they do not even charge for them! It is even worse that I find myself going to a Windows box to work for hours each month just to update a far superior computer. If IBM is serious about using the lower TCO in its marketing, they should seriously consider updating their software maintenance procedures to be much more cost effective, especially when an area where they are way behind is one that is so visible.
    Steve: Personally, I'm not a fan of the Windows update process. The update prompt always seems to pop up at the most inopportune time. If I'm typing at the time, I might hit the wrong key and start the update process when I'm not ready for it. On the other hand, I like the process on openSUSE. Once a day (configurable), the system checks for updates. If there are any, you get a visual indicator in the task bar. You can review the updates at a time convenient to you, and if you choose to apply the updates, the process is quick. And most times, no reboot is needed! (If it is, it's noted in the summary before you go any further.) Furthermore, the process applies to all the products in your list of repositories, not just O/S components.

Comment

Working...
    X